Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im really thinking about doing a h20 system....anyone have one on a 9000?

im looking at it for its help in protecting against knock. Im probably gonna do my own system cuz i cant afford an off the shelf kit. I need a list of parts and some tips tho before i can start (aka i need to wait for erics site to be back up)

so does anyone have any input on the idea or anything?

nate

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
There's an Aquamist system currently on Ebay that looks pretty much like what you'd need for a close-to-factory system. I considered something like it, but I was told that the ECU controls detonation exceedingly well so that you'd only really need it if you were pushing ridiculous boost levels, something approaching 20 consistently, or you have an ECU mod or MBC that is pushing the boost envelope.

Of course, if you're planning to do that, then maybe water is the way to go! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just the fact that i was told it made holding high booost levels safer...and seeing as im running 15 ppsi on what used to be an lpt model...i figured the safer the better but im not finding anyone with experience with water/alcohol injection on a 9000....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
so what exactly is needed to set a H20 Injection up on a c900? What are the Advantages - and how does it exactly work? I'm interested in it - but i really know little about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
hmm, you know saabkid37 ive been kicking around the idea of h2o in my c900, being that i think youre the closest person to me location wise on the board, we should prolly put our heads together for this one, but of course i should wait until my car is back on the road and running :roll: .

Paul

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is water injection,and when is it needed?

Water Injection and turbos don't mix, here is a brief description and some quotes from an authors book.

The water injector is not a very interesting device. It has little place in a properly conceived turbo system. Two circumstances are viable for a water injector: a 1970 home-built Vega turbo with a draw-threw carb, or a Roots supercharger sitting between a huge engine and two huger(really big) carburetors. To stake the margin of safety of a turbocharged engine on an inherently unreliable device is an idea whose time has long since passed. RIP.

RULE: A WATER INJECTOR ON A TURBO CAR IS A POOR-EXCUSE BAND-AID FOR NOT DOING THE JOB CORRECTLY THE FIRST TIME.

Water injection is the spraying of a fine stream of H20 into the intake system. Heat is absorbed upon vaporization of the water has a strong cooling effect on the hot compressed air exiting the turbo. The reduction in intake air temperature reduces the tendency to Knock. Don't be too hasty to create a margin of saftey on detonation based on an unreliable device. Water injection is best used when boost levels over 6psi are desired but no intercooler is present. Do not allow a situation to exist where the water injector is used as an excuse for improper air/fuel ratios. All things considered, you would be far ahead never to have heard of a water injector.

·
Registered
584 Posts
theoriginalscion said:
What is water injection,and when is it needed?

Water Injection and turbos don't mix, here is a brief description and some quotes from an authors book.

All things considered, you would be far ahead never to have heard of a water injector.
Hmmmm, I bet I can guess what book that came from. ;)

The Dawes Devices site has plenty of good info about DIY water injection, as well as information about what it does and how it works:

http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

I don't think it's the evil menace that the above author makes it out to be, but I'd also spend some time figuring out wether or not I needed it on a given car before investing the time/energy. If your car is knocking because of poor fueling or bad spark timing, then the above "Water injection sucks" statements would apply, IMHO. But, if you're knocking because of really really hot air, and you've got no other way to fix that problem (big IC?) then water injection is perfect.

Paul, I saw a photo of your car where you had the "knock LED" mod and an A/F gauge - if the light goes off and you can't trace it to a fueling problem with the A/F, then go for it!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
driver found said:
Paul, I saw a photo of your car where you had the "knock LED" mod and an A/F gauge - if the light goes off and you can't trace it to a fueling problem with the A/F, then go for it!
yeah the led isnt hooked up on this car and neither is the a/f gauge, but on my 89 convert i did have them hooked up and fueling was fine, so i do think that the lack of IC is the problem with these cars and thats only at like 13-14psi :roll: .

Paul

·
Registered
584 Posts
Paul - have you considered a 9000 IC swap? I've seen it on a few 900's and it doesn't look too bad. Plus, 9000 IC's are waaaaaay cheaper than even a DIY water injection kit!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
yeah thats the other option that im considering, but really it requires alot more work even though its cheaper, and i'd have to cut up the tow hooks witch i'm not entirely agianst, but i'd like to avoid it. But again, the thing is just barely becoming reliable, so i dunno if i wanna push it :roll:

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts