Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a manual trans classic Saab - 900 prefered. I would prefer a n/a for simplicity sake. I just want it as a safe daily driver to replace a Geo Metro. Should be in decent to good shape - need minimal work if any. Rust should be minimal to none. I am not looking for a "beater" - rather a much more solid car I can run every day and not have to worry much about. If you live down south and know of something please let me know. I live in PA and am willing to travel for a rust free example. Not looking to spend a lot either mind you - car should be in the $500-$1200 range ideally, as it's a basic non-turbo car. 4 doors are welcome. NOT looking for a c/v as of now - but will consider if clean and w/in the price range. NO AUTOMATICS - I have enough of those pigs. 8V or 16V - early 90's cars are better to me since the 88+ bolt patterns I have sitting.

Idea of what I am seeking:

Feel free to contact me via e-mail with pictures and details. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Burns, sorry to go OT, but why not look for a NG as a DD? If safety is a concern, NG's are a better bet with ABS, daul A/Bs, etc. Plus, transmissions are way better.

I love the classics too, but NGs are safer and now cheaper (for a good rust free version) in some cases.

I'm not telling you anything you don't know, just my $.02.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Living in Ohio, even rusty running examples of what you're looking for are changing hands for the price you're looking to pay. I bought an '85 4-dr in late Nov. with 260K on the clock, all rusty fenders (control arm/underside OK though) with 5-spd and 16v NA, and that cost me $800.

It seems like, at least in my area, if a 900 runs and drives at this point its worth almost what you're looking to pay, before considering rust issues. Good luck with the search though

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Well, if nothing else, you're on the right cycle. Three years ago, when I was looking for Little Red, all I could find were turbos. Nowadays, turbos are harder to find on CL amidst the n/as.

Look in the south and be prepared for bake and flake paint and chop-shop mechanic work. Look in the Pacific Northwest and spend three times the purchase price getting out there to get it home.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
i wouldn't worry about turbos being too complicated. as long as you don't crank things up, they're quite reliable.....although cranking it up is way to easy.....yea go n/a, lol

also, i feel safer in a c900 than in an ng. so much more solid.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wouldn't worry about turbos being too complicated. as long as you don't crank things up, they're quite reliable.....although cranking it up is way to easy.....yea go n/a, lol

also, i feel safer in a c900 than in an ng. so much more solid.
Remember - my "daily drivers" are a 1993 Geo Metro 3 cylinder and a 1996 4 cylinder RWD Sonoma - a n/a Saab will be fine. I have my fast toys for nice weather :) I've learned Fuel Economy IS more important when just driving back and forth to work daily. And yes - if I ended up with a turbo, it would just be made stupid fast and I'd be back to 16-24MPG from a Turbo Saab.... lol I have those already. Ng900's just feel cheap and bulky in all the wrong ways to me. A 9-3 is just a nicer looking ng900.... lol I'm good there, not really going to look at those. I considered it when I ended up with the Sonoma after I sold my MB 300TE. I needed a work horse daily driver then - now I have 2 - I need 1 good one for now, and I'll get a REAL truck later.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
1991 Saab for sale - $800 (West Grove, PA)

For Sale is a 1991 Saab 900 with title. 5 spd manual. 115,000 miles. Purchase as is or can be use as a parts car. Been sitting for a few years (needs a new water pump). Needs a new key as old key is bent. I have the price set at $800.00 but will take best offer.

1991 Saab for sale

Hey, a 91 has ABS and one airbag! I have no idea on condition...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I admire your ambition to get into one of these cars, but getting into a virtually rust-free c900 for $500-$1200 is going to be pretty tough. 95% of the time in the real world, that money buys you nothing but a beater, project car, or junk....the exact opposite of what you're looking for here. Getting a reliable, "needs minimal work, if any", "Zero - Minimal Rust" car, then, will require you to thoroughly hunt and search all over the internet. I think at the end of the day, you might run into a good deal, or an owner who doesn't know/care about the value of their car, but you're more likely to find that you might have to either lower your expectations or increase your budget. After all, the c900 isn't the Geo Metro of the world.

Also, if you use your ability/knowledge of auto repair, you can probably get a fixer upper for next to nothing and come out way better than you would have buying a car with no issues from the start. Most people dump c900's when they're too costly to maintain or keep on the road. That's what there's a lot of out there, and most of us don't have the ability you have to do repairs and save on labor. Take advanatage of it!

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I admire your ambition to get into one of these cars, but getting into a virtually rust-free c900 for $500-$1200 is going to be pretty tough. 95% of the time in the real world, that money buys you nothing but a beater, project car, or junk....the exact opposite of what you're looking for here. Getting a reliable, "needs minimal work, if any", "Zero - Minimal Rust" car, then, will require you to thoroughly hunt and search all over the internet. I think at the end of the day, you might run into a good deal, or an owner who doesn't know/care about the value of their car, but you're more likely to find that you might have to either shift your expectations or increase your budget. After all, the c900 isn't the Geo Metro of the world. Good luck in your search.
May I remind you: http://www.saablink.net/forum/tsl-members-saab-pics/50765.htm
the $300 1986 9000 Turbo "1 owner" car I picked up.... they are out there, I will find it - I will buy it. lol

I am a bargain hunter!

I would consider a Viggen - but it would have to be decent and SUB $4000 pricing. They look nice and with some aftermarket upgrades could handle OK.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe you'll get lucky and find an idiot--there's plenty out there.

Example; who wants to buy a "Sab": 1992 SAB 900 S
That should be in the Save the Classic 9000 thread :) Shame it's on a used car lot and it's an automatic (not that those are bad things) Just not what I am seeking. Looks nice however. Too heavy to be fuel efficient :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That should be in the Save the Classic 9000 thread :) Shame it's on a used car lot and it's an automatic (not that those are bad things) Just not what I am seeking. Looks nice however. Too heavy to be fuel efficient :)
I know it's not what you're looking for, just illustrating my "idiot" point. :-D

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, is the fuel mileage for a n/a c900 even that good? Maybe high 20's on the highway? Low 20's in the city? I can't find the statistics.
Well being as the Automatic c900 Vert we had averaged about 21MPG I'd hope the 5 speed non-turbo sedan/hatchback would be at the very least high 20's into low 30's highway - and this is good. I know it's not a damn Geo Metro. My Sonoma get's 19-22MPG average. No idea what it get's highway - I think it's about the same. lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also, is the fuel mileage for a n/a c900 even that good? Maybe high 20's on the highway? Low 20's in the city? I can't find the statistics.
I tracked mileage (spreadsheet calculated) for the first few tanks in my '88 900S when I bought it last summer and was getting 30-32 mpg with 25% city / 75% highway driving.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.