Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a JT downpipe for my Saab spg....anyone have one let me know please......I'm willing to trade or pay cash.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea thanks for that update, nick is a great guy to deal with. But i was looking for a used one that has already been on an SPG...just becasue i may get a mitsu turbo later on and update to a split downpipe. So i won't need it "forever" persay. Plus i won't have to weld anything or cut anything, it will just bolt on. So when i get my split downpipe i can change my whole exhaust system. :lol:

-Brian

·
7,595 Posts
well the JT down pipe is bolt on to the Mitsubishi turbo too, in fact with the mitsu TD04HL 15G turbo unit, you HAVE to use an outlet that fits the same manner as the cast elbow does. you can't use a split downpipe because the exhaust gas from the wastegate and from the impellor join up in a sort of collector that's part of the exhaust side of the turbo unit.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
DeLorean said:
well the JT down pipe is bolt on to the Mitsubishi turbo too, in fact with the mitsu TD04HL 15G turbo unit, you HAVE to use an outlet that fits the same manner as the cast elbow does. you can't use a split downpipe because the exhaust gas from the wastegate and from the impellor join up in a sort of collector that's part of the exhaust side of the turbo unit.
i think he means the TE05-12b that came on the 91+ cars. Wich by the way i wouldn't consider an "upgrade" basically i'd call it a "waste of your time and money" :lol: . That turbo is good for stock power levels, beyond that it just blows a whole lot of hot air, dont get me wrong the spoolup is amazing, it totally changes the character of the car, but its not worth the cost.

The upgrade that Delorean is talking about is much more worthwhile, but there should be more details on that whole setup once we get moving on our respective projects :roll: .

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
aah, ok. the stock mitsu turbo I would say is "maxed" at around 195 HP. however if one had a crazy intercooler and was into spinning the crap out of turbos... 210 MAYBE :?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Group 6 tweaked apc box, 8 to 1 compression with forged pistions bored .20 over. Ported 2.3 head, 3.0 bar (took my rrfpr off), 30 lb injectors, borla exhuast, k&n intake with the stock garrett pushing 18 psi strong. with my h20 injection coming on at 5 psi. Noticed a huge difference in performance, it was coming on at 10 psi before. But i went for a ride in taylor weldon's spg and he has the same mistu turbo in it as group 9 is offering (but did not get it there). So with my mods what do you think i should run for a turbo if i want "quick response" with 22-24 psi and it will PULL to red line.???? Thanks for the help guys.
Also taylor told me to get the mitsu from group 9 and have them through a 18G compressor wheel on it. Taylor is also running a split downpipe with this turbo the te-05 with the upgraded thrustbearings etc....15 g housing etc..

Any comments will help :) thanks

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
GreySPG said:
I have a Group 6 tweaked apc box, 8 to 1 compression with forged pistions bored .20 over. Ported 2.3 head, 3.0 bar (took my rrfpr off), 30 lb injectors, borla exhuast, k&n intake with the stock garrett pushing 18 psi strong. with my h20 injection coming on at 5 psi. Noticed a huge difference in performance, it was coming on at 10 psi before. But i went for a ride in taylor weldon's spg and he has the same mistu turbo in it as group 9 is offering (but did not get it there). So with my mods what do you think i should run for a turbo if i want "quick response" with 22-24 psi and it will PULL to red line.???? Thanks for the help guys.
Also taylor told me to get the mitsu from group 9 and have them through a 18G compressor wheel on it. Taylor is also running a split downpipe with this turbo the te-05 with the upgraded thrustbearings etc....15 g housing etc..

Any comments will help :) thanks
yeah with that setup the stock TE05 would be damn near worthless, my 91 turbo with the stock te05 made 195hp like delorean said, but for the HP lowish tourque #'s compared to what a T3 would make, the 18G compressor might be a good choice, but i think one of the restrictions with the TE05 is the exhuast housing. The way to go with a c900 if you dont want to be replacing trannys every week or so is to have a turbo that doesnt come on as rediculously sudden as the T3 does, so the alternative that delorean and i are trying is a turbo from a volvo 850. basically its almost the same as a aero turbo except with a larger exhaust housing (that just happens to have a stock t3 bolt pattern..how convenient:D ) , that should make spoolup slightly slower, but allow you to make some serious boost up top (from what i hear stock 900 engines are good to around 7k or so :twisted: )

but if youre looking for a turbo that has instant response....get some trannys ready to install, and open up your wallet cause from what i hear the GT28r is a very good turbo for c900s, someone on TSN has one, cant recall who. problem with that is its not a direct bolt up like the volvo unit.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts