Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I wouldnt consider it for the simple fact, it makes it that much harder to sell should you want to, and it just worries me knowing Im in a car that has been totalled, and may not have been put back together right.

Im in a weird spot though. I have found a car I like in my local auto trader. Happens to be a Viggen(99 lightning blue... SPLOOGE!). The price is right, and it has been repaired with nothing but saab parts and repaired by a saab certified body guy.

When it was hit, it recieved absolutely no frame or structural damage. It was hit in the back ,and quite a few superficial parts had to be replaced, which as all of us happy saab owners know, those parts cost an arm and a leg. Hence it being totalled.

it has 60k miles, looks fantastic, and if I get it, I have no intentions on selling it. Its my realistic dream car, and I will be happy with it.Next car on the list is an M3, but that wont happen for awhile.

Cliff notes for the lazy:

Totalled car, but no structural or frame problems, all repairs were superficial, and have been dealt with accordingly.

Price is right

60k miles

dont plan to sell

Considering the above, would you buy it?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
There's one on ebay right now just like that. Hit in the rear with 60K salvage title .. Are you referring to that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4519063929&category=31866

"Dont let the salvage title scare you, this car was only hit very lightly in the rear. There is no frame damage whatsoever. This viggen was repaired and repainted in the rear with only saab parts. There is a small scratch on the rear bumper cover, a scratch and a ding on the drivers door, scratches under the front bumper cover being that is is so low. The paint is gorgeous, very nice and bright. New front Viggen slotted roters and pads.The only thing this car needs is a new ABS Sensor on the drivers side. Modified exhaust. Leather interior is in excellent condition like new. This vehicle was taken care of and had its oil changed every 3k using Mobil 1 Synthetic. There were only 400 of these cars made in 99."

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah. the one Im looking at is in the local trader here in VA. its based out in pourtsmouth. Same circumstances though.

So what do you think? Yay? Nay?

I would not feel comfortable buying a car with a salvaged title on ebay... I want to be able to physically look at it before I commit under those circumstances, you know?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
so you're saying that the viggen I found on ebay, which is also a lightning blue, salvage title, also repaired with only saab parts, isn't the same as yours? sounds a little fishy

~justin

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats what Im telling you. What seems so "fishy" about that? Last I checked there were 400 lightning blue viggens in the United states... Surely more then one of them has been rear ended and repaired and then sold with a salvaged title. It isnt that farfetched to believe... your just making it that way.

But if your trying to label me a liar or osmething go for it. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
The only thing I would do is check with the DMV to see what issues or problems you can encounter for registration and the issues related to resale (even though you say now you wont sell it). In California there are very specific laws related to a Salvage title vehicle and getting it licensed to drive on the street again. If the state laws are something you can deal with then I say go for it (after you take it to a shop and have your mechanic check it over).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pat said:
Cliff notes for the lazy:

Totalled car, but no structural or frame problems, all repairs were superficial, and have been dealt with accordingly.

Price is right

60k miles

dont plan to sell

Considering the above, would you buy it?
What is meant by "price is right" ??? personally I wouldnt pay more than $5000 for a Viggen with a salvage/rebuilt title no matter how good the repair was. But; if you never sell it, the repair was done to factory specs, its the car of your dreams, and you are comfortable with it all; it realy doesnt matter what anyone here says. Its your money and will be your car. Good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks for the help guys, and A special thanks to the one who tried to make me look like an asshole on a message board. Real kudos to you my furry little friend. You guys take it easy. See ya next itme I have a question, which Im sure will be three months from now or so knowing my record of posting here.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Pat said:
Alright thanks for the help guys, and A special thanks to the one who tried to make me look like an asshole on a message board. Real kudos to you my furry little friend. You guys take it easy. See ya next itme I have a question, which Im sure will be three months from now or so knowing my record of posting here.
Yeah jeez. I took it that Justin was looking out for you. That could be the same vehicle in Auto Trader as on Ebay. Don't take so much offence to the statement :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts