Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising around after dinner looking for a quick race before going home, saw a Civic with HID's turn out of the local hangout spot gas station for ricers and racers. Slowed down and waited for him to pull up. Taunted him first just to see if he was game, he did the same, and I heard some spool, to show that he was. Next light, asked him if he wanted to hop on the highway and he agreed.

Both races, I took the hit. First race from about 60, I get going but have to cut off shortly because the truck 100 feet up in my lane. His car looked pretty quick as he flew past me.

Second race from about the same speed, take off and pull enough to get in front of him as traffic in my lane approached and pull just a car or two more through the end of 3rd gear.

Right when we let off, him still behind me, he hops over several lanes and gets off the exit. Don't think this was out of embarrassment though - I catch the next one and drive by the same gas station and see him parked there with a few others around him now.

He kept up pretty good up til we ended so he was definitely making some power, said he hadn't dyno'd yet though so not sure how much. 300ish, maybe? It wasn't a DX so that means he weighed between 2400 and 2500lbs, plus him and his girlfriend. I don't have much doubt that he'd take my buddy's 300whp WRX.

Got it on video, good enough for me so I headed home and called it a night. Win.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Precision 6262's are many peoples turbo of choice these days, hard to argue with 400 who on a stock block 1.8l and an $800 price tag.

A setup like that would probably have no trouble keeping up with you
A friend with an '06 Type S bought one of those awhile back but who knows if he'll ever actually use it.. I'd love to have a K20 car to play with, 400whp on nearly any Honda will dust me.

1998 LSV-Turbo Integra Frost White - KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum

This guy has ran on several 10 second cars. I have no doubt he would destroy me, especially with the way my shit shifts now. I can't wait to change my transmission this summer and make the switch to E85 with an 044. I'm also considering upping the ante in a few areas, namely turbo, cams/springs, and downpipe.

Or maybe I should just invest in a K20 car or an older S2k.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
It's thoroughly possible, but the stock internals would have to give eventually.
an LS will take 400-450whp on a very good tune with no issue.

A friend with an '06 Type S bought one of those awhile back but who knows if he'll ever actually use it.. I'd love to have a K20 car to play with, 400whp on nearly any Honda will dust me.

1998 LSV-Turbo Integra Frost White - KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum

This guy has ran on several 10 second cars. I have no doubt he would destroy me, especially with the way my shit shifts now. I can't wait to change my transmission this summer and make the switch to E85 with an 044. I'm also considering upping the ante in a few areas, namely turbo, cams/springs, and downpipe.

Or maybe I should just invest in a K20 car or an older S2k.
i think you could run close to 500whp with cams and more boost. i have some interesting ideas for a very potent 2L, just no motor to play with myself.

the k's/f's can take a lot of heat. people have done 700whp o bone stock f20's.

but of course a proper chassis, there is no substitute for.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
How long can an LS bottom end last at that power? I didn't think they could go up THAT high. And why is it that people use LS bottom ends rather than like a GSR bottom end? Is it just because they're cheaper? I know the GSR bottom ends are much sturdier, zero balanced, and what not...

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Ls is lower compression along with more turbo friendly pistons. A freind is running 450whp through a stock block 6262 setup with a tune from someone who in my experience is not that good, has probably 5k hard miles and 20 drag passes.

Only issue was setting the hood on fire with a poorly built dumptube

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only issue was setting the hood on fire with a poorly built dumptube
LOL nice.

I'm still considering a Honda, though. B-series powerplant, Golden Eagle/CP stuff, clean, stock sedan on the outside.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you do, we shall have a talk, as i already have a year + of thought into a blueprint for a very ridiculous and capable setup
Is that right? Well this was more of a future plan, as I'd like to graduate first above all. Hopefully I'll end up back in KC so the Saab can get a Bosch and E85 to finish it off [for now] and then once I start working, the Civic is what I'd like to do next. What's the general idea behind the blueprint?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hmm I forgot about the lower CR but did not know about the pistons. What makes them turbo friendly? Are they stronger? Ringlands further down from top of the piston (I know on the f22b1/2 they're closer to the top so they can't take the heat after XXpsi)?

My brother may end up buying his own car down the road and I know I can make a turbo civic for much cheaper than what I spent on my car. Idk if we'd boost the stock d series or immediately swap...prob stock for a little bit. If we can get an EG si w/the d16z6, a vitara build would be an option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts