Saab Link Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Use of Sonett rims on your 96 will give more clearance. The extra width is all on the outside, so it displaces the tire about 1/4" outboard. I have early steel Sonett rims on my 67 96. (If anybody has any more they want to get rid of, I'd like..)

On a Sonett, you can raise the fender lip quite stealthily. I raised mine 1 1/2 inch, and you probably wouldn't notice unless it was parked beside a stocker.
The problem is a a small one and not worth the effort of tring to fix. you just have to raise the rear higher to get the wheels off. Plus the wheels I think you are talking about are not as wide which will make my 185 side walls really squissy and not an option. I'll sorry I miss lead you but they due rub in the front on full lock. I never noticed this before because I'm so rarely at lock. But the wider 185's on the wide soccer balls do make the car handle and ride better. The real stock size for the 96 was 145 15's not 155's but try finding those sizes. If you like to drive I would say your best bet is a 175 or a185 which are easily found now that the new mini has brought back the 175.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ahh Shoot! I am the one who was not clear.
The rubbing I was talking about on the Sonett is on the front. The fender lip is low, and if you hit a bump while turned sharply it hits, even with the 155s.
The Sonett steelies are 4 1/2" wide.

The problem is a a small one and not worth the effort of tring to fix. you just have to raise the rear higher to get the wheels off. Plus the wheels I think you are talking about are not as wide which will make my 185 side walls really squissy and not an option. I'll sorry I miss lead you but they due rub in the front on full lock.....

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.