Saab Link Forums banner

Vintage Saab Tire Sizes/Tire Info Needed

26K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  DMorgano 
#1 ·
OK - time to get tires on the old 15" Steelies for Carlisle

Has on it now - 165R15 86T crap

Want to buy best bang for the $$ These rub on lock to lock as it is (parking) So I figure I can't go wider.

Looking at some overpriced tires from cooker for $105 each for Radials H rated plus $75 shipping

Found on tire rack some 165/80/15 87T Kumho Power Stars for $45 each.... (will they fit?)

Anyone got tips and suggestions - would like some Soccer Ball wheels if anyone has some 5 lugs :)

White walls are $156 each for Bias Ply....

My car -

See less See more
#7 ·
yeah - but on a stock steel rim and suspension on a 95/96 body would they rub in the front end? Like I said - the Metric 165/15 does already. Are the 165/80/15 the same height as a "metric" 165R15 I don't know tires without the height on there, is it default 80? If i can fit the 175/65/15 I could get a real tire like continental contiprocontact

Other wise I like the Federal SS-657 165/80 R15 87T CN Tire for $48 and I assue it'd fit as well as what I have now.

check www.tires-easy.com they stock some peculiar sizes on there, might be able to get some cheap ones. I've got the soccerballs from my 99 still, but they're 4 lug. They do have some decentish Michelin XZX's on em if you want em, i think they might be 165's.

Paul
I might be interested in free cause it could buy me some time for other work and and axle swaps I want to do to fit 4 lug c900 wheels.... Good site too - I like the cheap selection!

Ditto on the 175/65HR 15's. They are closest to original size.
Original was 155R15

#3 ·
check www.tires-easy.com they stock some peculiar sizes on there, might be able to get some cheap ones. I've got the soccerballs from my 99 still, but they're 4 lug. They do have some decentish Michelin XZX's on em if you want em, i think they might be 165's.

Paul

#5 ·
the stock size for the VSAABs was 155/15 and they are impossable to find. A tire that I like to use is the spare tire out of the 91-92 TCS cars. The size is 175/70/15. With this size your speedometer will be just about dead on. As far as rubbing when turning, I wouldn't get too wigged out about it. They ALL will rub when turned to lock no matter what size tire you put on them.

#15 ·
I finally put 175/65-15's on my soccerballs today. They're quite a bit smaller in diameter than the 165R15s that I was running prior, but now my speedometer is deal on. I ran into a cop running radar on my street right after mounting them on the car, and he offered to clock me going both ways. I kept it at a steady 30 on the speedo, and the gun had me at 29.

#10 ·
All you can do is try them. I've run 185/65/15's and 195/60/15's with no problems too. The speedo is pretty close with them too. The only problem with the 185/195 is the steering is very heavy during parking. Another hint, when you do get the tires mounted, play with your tire pressure, it makes a world of differance in the way the car rides especially on a wagon. I ran 28psi in the front on most of my cars to help soften the front end on rough roads and about 20psi in the rear to keep it from hopping on the same roads

#12 ·
First, let me say I am very jealous, Carolina Blue is one of my favorite Saab colors. ;-)

I'm assuming you have the 4 inch steel rims, you'd want the 165/R15 size, that's what I have on my 96 steelies. I have some no-name Korean "Signets" that I bought a few years ago, around $200 installed at a local shop. I know Kumho makes a tire in that size and might be better. The biggest problem with that size is sidewall flex, they are very tall.

If you go with soccerballs I would recommend 175/R15, same size as the base Mini Cooper. These are what I plan on getting for my soccerballs that I will hopefully get on there before Carlisle.

Can't wait to see your car!

#18 ·
All sizes will rub lock to lock - no way to avoid, aside from not going full lock.

Factory size is stupid - 155/15

My soccer balls as seen have the same size MOST people tend to run, 165/80/15

When I replace them (when I decide to re-do the wheels next year maybe) I will be stepping up to the 175 series since it's a very common size in comparision to the other sizes. You can run 185 also mind you, and a 195 might have rub issues.

Price them out - see which you can find cheapest if that is all you are looking for, but the OEM size of 155 is silly small and will cost the most more then likely.

#19 ·
Are you talking about rubbing in the rear? Now I only have a 96 and run 185 65 on soccor balls, but I have never had a rubbing problem. The only problem I have with the bigger tires is taking the rear off tires takes a little wiggling to get the out from behind the fenders, besides that the make my car handle and ride better. My mufler did start banging against my trunk on hard right hand turns after the change but all I did to fix that is to make a hanger that pulled the mufler away from the trunk.

#20 ·
Use of Sonett rims on your 96 will give more clearance. The extra width is all on the outside, so it displaces the tire about 1/4" outboard. I have early steel Sonett rims on my 67 96. (If anybody has any more they want to get rid of, I'd like..)

On a Sonett, you can raise the fender lip quite stealthily. I raised mine 1 1/2 inch, and you probably wouldn't notice unless it was parked beside a stocker.

#21 · (Edited)
The problem is a a small one and not worth the effort of tring to fix. you just have to raise the rear higher to get the wheels off. Plus the wheels I think you are talking about are not as wide which will make my 185 side walls really squissy and not an option. I'll sorry I miss lead you but they due rub in the front on full lock. I never noticed this before because I'm so rarely at lock. But the wider 185's on the wide soccer balls do make the car handle and ride better. The real stock size for the 96 was 145 15's not 155's but try finding those sizes. If you like to drive I would say your best bet is a 175 or a185 which are easily found now that the new mini has brought back the 175.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.