Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just on the saab net and was looking at all the saabs for sale....ther is between 10-18 viggens going for sale....from here to Fargo.....all decent price and rather low miles.....WHY!!! why couldnt i have found one around me when i was looking.....dont get me wrong i do love my B205R......but you know how it goes.....dont these owners know what they have.....they all say that the viggen is a blast to drive....then why give it up?....oh man they should just auction them off...or give me one

·
Registered
352 Posts
winter?, if anything the viggen should be a blast to drive in the snow.....fwd

i love my 9-3 non HOT, slipping and sliding all over the place 8)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
i was just on the saab net and was looking at all the saabs for sale....ther is between 10-18 viggens going for sale....from here to Fargo.....all decent price and rather low miles.....WHY!!! why couldnt i have found one around me when i was looking.....dont get me wrong i do love my B205R......but you know how it goes.....dont these owners know what they have.....they all say that the viggen is a blast to drive....then why give it up?....oh man they should just auction them off...or give me one
that is why i decided to keep my car. If they are so great, why are there so many for sale? my guess is that the cost to maintain them properly is not what some people bargained for when they bought them. everything costs more for a viggen. :roll: I also suspect some people do not see the weaknesses like excessive torque steer to be "character" but rather a "flaw"....

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think people who could afford a new Viggen just think of them as old now. Some chick arround here has a black one that has probably never been washed and gets serviced at the texaco. I bet she got it from daddy. It was parked there with the rear bumper partly in the bushes too. What these loyal Saab familys with money don't realize is that they are selling thier last real saab to blindly follow the brand. I wonder if the loyal Saab drivers will keep buying the new models. I figure I can drive used Saabs for another 20 years. After that, I'll buy a Saab aerospace flying car. :wink:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I will just be glad to see Saab still making cars. I don't see anything wrong with a nice new 9-5 Aero for example. :roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't feel bad I wanna....The only thing the viggen has on you is interior and a body kit. I was sure that a viggen would be my next car, until I talked to Frank Stromqvist at SOC3...basically there is not point to the 2.3 other than lots of power for a stock car. Once you start tuning you can take the 2.0 just as a high in terms of HP. The 2.3 has more power down low than the fwd chassis can handle, what you want is more power at the top of the rev range and you can have plenty with the 2.0. All of the saab he races are 2.0's and they put out as much as 600hp. if you got to sqr's website you'll see an Aero that makes well over 400hp and it's destroked to 2 liters.

Plus there have been lots of piston failure issues with the b235r, so enjoy your 205, get a big turbo, a big intercooler and some custom tuning.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i agree with chad on this one, if anything, get a 9000 or 9-5 2.3L motor, they are stronger, use that as a base then tune it

but those seats....mmmm viggen seats :drooling:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Chad W said:
basically there is not point to the 2.3 other than lots of power for a stock car. Once you start tuning you can take the 2.0 just as a high in terms of HP.
Yeah, if you pplan on staying stock it makes more sense to go 2.3, but the 2.0 on all the tuners websites can be brought up to more power much easier and cheaper. My stage 1 SE at 260 HP is like a stage 3 Viggen at 265 or something!!!!

but I would not totally diss the 2.3, espeically in 9-5 Aero form. I would love a 9- aero 2.3 with a stage 3 Nordic chip and 300 HP. Sweet/ 8)

·
Registered
230 Posts
The 2.3 make a lot more sense on the 9000 platform which is naturally more resistant to torque steer (equal length half shafts for one) the B234R is great, but once you get in to B235's in the 9-5 I would start to worry about lean conditions and piston cracking which is more a T7 vs T5 issue then a phsycial thing. Realistically the TD04 with a 5cm2 exhaust housing can't push more than 280hp (vs about 310 with 6cm2) but you will see much more power under the curve on the 2.3 with them than the 2.0's.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I hear alot of people who say that tuning on the T7 platform and running a 235R can cause cracked pistons caused by lean out conditions. You always hear that the T7 is one of the most advanced control systems there is so how is it possible to get leaned out? I would think that if you are running a modified ECU in your T7 car that the Tuner's would have addressed the fuel curves to adjust for it. Has anyone here on this board actually had cracked pistons on their 235R motor? If so I am curious to talk to you more about it since down the road I am planning on picking up a Viggen to accompnay my 9-3 HOT and want to know the pitfalls to look out for.

I know when you start looking at the old SAAB's like the C900's you hardley ever see anyone run a 2.3 or 2.1 litre block but rather they run the 2.0 block and a 2.3litre head mated to it with a 2.1litre intake manifold and that combo gives the best power output for them.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you posted a link to saablink on saabnet like that it would be removed. I wish there was a way to tell the people on saabnet about saablink and not get banned or have it deleted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
more than likely, the people who peruse saabnet also are on sc and/or tsl or any of the other boards so i'm sure they're aware of tsl

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Thanks for the links out to SAABNET I am going to be looking around summer next year (after I have moved hopefully).

Unfortunatly the wife says if I want the 9000 and a Viggen I have to sell the C900. It is supposed to be up for sale now but I keep making excuses for not selling it like the fact that I need to fix the welds on the hood mount since one is broken and it just wouldnt be safe to sell to someone else. My C900 is actually a tad faster than my 9-3 HOT and alot of fun to drive and I can only imagine how much fun a Viggen is to drive!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I found it because recognized a picture of a 9000T from my area on another site and PM'd the person. Turns out the 9k was burnside's and he told me about saablink. I've since told a few others.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts