Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went down to philly tonight to watch the races and i fool around with cars back and forth to the race spots, i never race off the line.....anyway early in the night i beat a turbo civic over a bridge while i had 2 other people in the car......i weigh around 240, one friend weighs around 220 i would say, maybe 230, and my other friend only weighs like 150 if that.....so we raced a turbo civic with just the driver, and i puilled about a car length on him. We then fool around with various other cars not really racing anyone, i wanted to race a mustang gt but we couldnt find the right time or place. Anyway as im checking the last area which they race at before i head home a black on black m3 with about 15-20% tint starts cruisin next to me. He had 1 passenger and they both looked to weigh around 150-160 maxx. so we had easily 350+ more lbs in the car, but i was running low on gas so ill be generous and say 300 lbs more. Anyway we both are cruising on the way to the last race area and the roads suck and are all bumpy so we dont really race, were both just cruising next to each other with our tints up(he had his tints down at first so i knew he had another guy in the car).....we get there and theres a cop there so we are heading over a tiny bridge towards 76 west and i hear him downshift.....so i drop it into second and gun it and i went a little before him so i get a good jump. And i start about half a car length ahead. In second he pulls on me so his wheel is right in my view, then i hold my own through 3rd, and in 4th he just starts to slowly pull. I was surprised that i could almost keep up with him especially with the weight in the car. Anyway we both get on 76 west and cruise for about 10 miles and have a few go's while were on the highway. One time i actually think i pulled on him a little but i doubt he was really going for real. He eventually gets off and i give him a honk goodbye. Im really considering the stage 2 now, or at least when i go down on sunday i will try not to bring anyone with me.....and possibly take out my spare tire.....and my rear seats..Is that possible(rear seats)? cause i really dont need them and from what i understand they should be 100+ lbs. I know im going overboard but i really want to beat a new m3.

Oh yeah, i went and got a test fit on an intercooler pipe like 2 days ago and the guy who was test fitting it never secured the intercooler pipe on my throttle body so right after i beat that turbo civic i was heading down a bridge and my rpms dropped to about 500 and i gave it gas and kept it around 3k. Anyway it worked for a little and i kept stalling so i went into the gas station right at the next corner and screwed the brace on the throttle body.......i thought i was fucked cause i thought it was my di casette at first......THANK GODDDDD IT WASNT, i woulda needed a tow truck. :? i guess it was the first time i drove it that hard since i got the test fit.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Nice. Yea I'd just get a Stage 2...no need to dismantle your car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Nice. Yea I'd just get a Stage 2...
And a boatload of other stuff, if the M3 driver knows what he's doing. They're low 13 second cars stock in the 1/4, Viggens are low 15 second cars stock. 333 hp vs. 230. The one place where it's close is torque - the M3 is rated at 262, and the under-rated Viggen engine is probably about that too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i heard the viggens dyno around 260-270 at the wheels, but i was racing him from a roll. He did let me go first so i got a pretty large jump but i dont know how much weight makes a difference. Just to clear this up, how much would a hundred lbs make a difference if two otherwise identical cars were racing?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Most of the new M3's dyno at around 280 whp. I had one dyno at 283 on the same one my Viggen put down 214. But they weigh more than the Viggen does by around 300 lbs ... they also have, relatively speaking, narrow power bands. The torque is similar to the Viggen, though actually at the wheels slightly slower. The one on the same dyno as me put down 245 lb-ft while I had 251.

Interesting story though. I've never had one gain more than a few feet. But most people won't push those cars to the 8K redline.

The new-ish M3's with 240 horses are easy prey for the Viggen, and even from a stop they have a very difficult time gaining any ground. See my 0-100 video for why. ;)

Adrian~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts