Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a kill but it was all the sweeter because his license plate was "UB SLOW". I had a buddy in my car (240 pounds) and we were side by side at the light. He certainly had me off the line but I took care of that pretty quick. The best part is that he works in my building and he would not acknowledge me when we got into the parking lot. Silly middle age men with there old american "muscle"!!

·
10,303 Posts
My guess is that it was stock. :wink:

Having a modded Saab 900, and a stock 87 GN, I admit the Buick is faster off the line, face it our cars can't handle launches, but the Saab takes it by the end. Mod, a turbo Buick, and its all over. Carefull about "Old American Muscle" Alot of the engine technology in the Grand National is what is being used on our Saabs.
-Computer controlled timing and knock retard
-Turbocharged, wastegated
- Intercooler
-set for water injection, but never installed
-Mas air flow, like Trionic 7 cars
-distributer-less ignition
-absolutely bulletproof internals
-sequential fuel injection
-handling on par with the 900 / 9-3 chassis.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
That GN was probably a bone stock 84 or 85, which only had about 200 hp. An 87 GNX would have sent you home crying to Momma. :twisted: They had something close to 300hp from the factory, and geared to kill anything from a standing start.

When you see a GN, the best bet is to smile and wave.... :lol:

I bet that guy is looking into some mods even as we speak......

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can vouch for Ben's GN and their scary off-the-line acceleration. I've ridden in and driven cars that were much "faster" or had more power but none of them had the ass-kicking, bone-crushing launch that thing does.

·
7,595 Posts
PaulH said:
Tweek's Turbos said:
-handling on par with the 900 / 9-3 chassis.
oh like that would take that much effort :lol: :lol: friggin cavalier :lol: :lol: .

just messin with ya tweek

Paul
I am about to run for cover! :lol:

seriously though, GM did do a good bit to make the GN handle far better than the Regal. GM did similar for the NG 900 to *try* and make it out handle the cavalier. For example, they used a modified sub frame (1 piece) and different lighter weight control arms, struts and direct action sway bars (no end links) on the NG 900, none of which the cavalier had. Only trouble with all that is that the NG's weigh about 500lbs MORE than the Cavalier, so all that fancy stuff they did really didn't help real world handling. When compared to the cavalier, it just ended up correcting for all the added weight. the US versions of the cavalier / sunbird with the FE2 suspension managed .82 on the skidpad, which is actually a better figure than the NG-900 got.

I should note that the relation between the NG-900 and the US cavalier/sunbird is not as distant as some people would like to think! relation to the European cavalier... well probably a solid 75% of the suspension parts can be directly interchanged with it, so it's more than closely related.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts