Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a rather interesting experience I had a month ago. I'm out driving for a night, been out cruising around for a while enjoying the car when I end up going down the same street with a darkish blue Evo 8. The Viggen has an airfilter and of course as a result sounds quite nice. I give it a little go juice (remember it's the middle of the night, and I can't even find a car on the road in either direction, and it was dry, and two lanes each way etc etc) and he just stays put behind me. I wasn't about to race on the slower streets, but I kinda wanted to see how quick the Evo was. He wouldn't do anything. So we kept driving until we got to the onramp for the freeway ... I took the inner lane not sure if he was going to mash the pedal or not ...

Going around the corner at about 20 mph and starting to accellerate slowly in 2nd I suddenly hear his car, I knew he had an exhaust already, but now I heard a very loud intake as he was right on my rear fender. The Evo has very short 2nd and 3rd gears so since he was in 2nd and already spooled up, whereas I hesitated until I had already heard him begin going, he began to gain momentum on me and got right up next to me by around the end of the Viggen's 2nd gear.

Then I got into 3rd gear, but at that speed I'm at about 3,600 rpm wheras his car is at 5,500 and right smack dab at peak power ... but then his 3rd gear ran out and he had to shift into fourth at about 78 mph while I'm still in third until 100 ... at this point my bumper was right by his door and I had already made up the momentum I had lost earlier and was beginning to gain on him, but then the onramp merged and I was forced to relent. I might have eventually passed him had it not merged, but I don't know. It was still very exciting though. We evetually parted ways, and I waved as he gave me the most suprised look I ever saw. Priceless. :D

A couple weeks later I see him driving around town and ask him what he's done to his car (he doesn't know I'm the Viggen driver) ... he says Exhaust, intake (already knew both of those) and chip! Then I kindly point to the Saab a couple houses over (I was at my neighbors house when I saw him) and ask him if it looks familliar. He gives me another very suprised look and asks me what the hell I did to that car. I walk over with him and show him the airfilter, and stock exhaust, and he can't believe it ... he said he thought Saabs were granny cars and was embarassed to have had one right next to him still at the end of a very long onramp even when he got the jump on it.

'nother Saab skeptic schooled :D

Adrian W

btw here's the dyno sheet for the upgrade he had, and my stock Viggen dyno sheets:

Given his performance, I think the Vishnu numbers could be on the optimistic side, though others have said the exact opposite. The proof is in the pudding as far as I'm concerned, and he still has nowhere NEAR the torque. :D

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
VERY nice!! Welcome to the site. Are you at all an actual tuner?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only in my mind. :roll: We shall see what happens when I get a little more cash and time to spend it though. *insert evil laugh here*

edit: here's a pic of the Viggen too. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
i smoked about 2 or 3 stock evos. muahaha....my buddy has one and i got to drive it, and beat him in my car too. They are definatly fast and they handle soooooooo god damn good. But u cant beat a viggen from a roll. I lost to one evo, i talked to him after. he had the Apexi S-AFC which is their fuel management system which should give them at least 30 hp. That thing dominated me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts