Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently had the engine rebuild, about 2500 miles ago. It has mostly been running great since then but now I have been having some strange starting issued. I was having rough cold starts and I had Scanwest replace the fuel filter as well as the pressure regulator, which fixed those problems. Now I am having really rough starts on a warm engine. The last time I started it I had to give it gas as it was kind of choking and not wanting to really get going. Any thoughts? I cannot keep spending money as Scanwest and would love to be able to fix this myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not sure on the fuel pump, DI is good as I have four and put that one in not too long ago. What is the CPS? (crankshaft position sensor?) Will check out but I don't think it was messed with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I have not gotten around to checking the CPS yet, but the car has thrown p0133 twice now, and I turned it off and have not seen it for a while now... Could they be linked or is it two different problems?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the DIC, and the CPS(got rid of the code). Also cleaned the TB and replaced vac lines. Still having the same warn rough start issue. Starts great when it is cold and when it is hot, the only time it starts rough is when I drive it and let it sit for 20min to an hour then I need to give it gas to get it going... I hear the fuel pump prime, and the FPR was recently replaces because fuel pressure was dropping when the engine was turned off... Could this be the fuel pump check valve? Or maybe some electrical controller?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone? I just put new plugs in and still having the starting issue. I am thinking it is time to get to that fuel pump, as I cannot think of anything else it might be...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I recently took the TB apart and cleaned it, as well as replacing the vac lines. Are you thinking it could be the electronics? I hear those wires in there can get fried, I might have some time tomorrow to take it apart and take a look at the wires...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
If you suspect the fuel pump check valve, then turn the key to ACC but don't go all the way to engage the starter, do that a couple of times, then try to start.

WIS tells me that P0133 is a slow responding O2 sensor #1.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No i have not had any luck. Still having a warm start problem. I have replaced the vac lines, sparkplugs, dic, TB, cps, front o2, fueses, and I recently took it to Scanwest and they replaced the FPR as they saw a drop in fuel pressure at shut-off on their tech-two. The strange thing is that I figured I would just keep driving it and wait for it to get worse. Well it has not gotten worse or better, I am pretty much at a loss as to what the problem is... Could be fuel injectors? Maybe something to do with the fuel pump, but I just don't see that being the problem only on a warm start...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I had the car into the shop. They fiddled with it for about a week, and finally decided they think it is the computer. My 99 viggen is part of a TSB where the computer had rubber washers that corroded. Since I recently rebuilt the engine and have not fixed a lot of other stuff I want to tune it and get it up to 280-300. I did not have them replace the computer as it would have been about $350-400, and I figured that will be something I can take care of when I tune it. What do you guys think? I have not found anything about this TSB, so I really don't know, I however do trust the shop as they are standup guys.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here is the TSB:

MI No. 248-2261 ed.2
PI No.

Date: September 2000
Distr.: US, CA, JP

9-3

Recall 724: Replacing engine control module (ECM)

Background

The Trionic T7 engine control modules manufactured before December 6, 1999 have rubber supports for the circuit board that are faulty. These supports contain substances that can accelerate oxidation, which in turn can lead to open circuits on the circuit board. This can produce symptoms such as starting problems and the engine running unevenly. The CHECK ENGINE lamp may illuminate and the car may go into limp-home mode.

If Recall 719 has already been performed, please see this bulletin for additional work that must be performed. If Recall 719 has not yet been performed, please see MI 291-2217 edition 3 for complete details on required work.

Symptom

Starting problems and engine running unevenly. CHECK ENGINE lamp may light

Cars affected

Saab 9-3 models within the following VIN Serial No. Ranges:

1999 Viggen: X7020001 - X7063258
20003/5-dr.: Y2000001 - Y2021277
2000 Viggen and Convertible: Y7000001 - Y7006655

Owner Notification

As much as possible, owners of affected vehicles will be notified by Saab Cars USA, Inc.

There will be no VIN Status List issued for this campaign.

Please check your IRIS On-Line Recall & Service Campaign Inquiry for open campaigns.

Please note that vehicles in which a T7 ECM was replaced on a warranty claim with a repair date on or after March 1, 2000, regardless of the ECM part number used, are considered to be completed under the terms of this Recall and will be marked as completed on the Recall and Service Campaign Inquiry screen. No additional Recall 724 action is required for these vehicles. No owner notice will be sent to owners of these vehicles.

Material

53 81 140 T7 ECM for 2000 3/5-dr./Convertible (B205R High output)
53 81 108 T7 ECM for 2000 3/5-dr./Convertible (B205L Std. output)
53 80 985 T7 ECM for 1999 Viggen (B235R)
53 81 074 T7 ECM for 2000 Viggen (B235R)

Parts equal to 25% of those vehicles wholesaled to your dealership will be shipped according to the schedule outlined in the IRIS Reference posted in the IRIS Service and Warranty Reference Library on 2000/08/31. Additional parts should be ordered using normal ordering procedures.

Important A special programming procedure is used when performing this Recall. You must use Tech 2 version 37.000 or a later version.

Tools

Numeral 8 punch: 02 97 713
This tool may be ordered directly from Kent-Moore at 1-800-345-2233.

Warranty/time Information:

Submit warranty claims using the following information:

INSPECTION OF DATE CODE:
FAILED OBJECT: 10724
FAULT/REASON: 66
WARRANTY TYPE: 05
REPAIR/ACTION: 08
RECALL ACTION CODE (RAC): 1
LABOR OPERATION: 12240
TIME: 0.4

SEE INSPECT & REPLACE TRIONIC ECM FOR ADDITIONAL WARRANTY INFORMATION

INSPECT & REPLACE TRIONIC ECM:
FAILED OBJECT: 10724
FAULT/REASON: 66
*REPAIR/ACTION: 01*
RECALL ACTION CODE (RAC): 3
LABOR OPERATION: 10724
TIME: 0.6

Additional step for Recall 719:

For vehicles that are listed on the IRIS Recall & Service Campaign Inquiry screen as open for 717 and where the campaign plate is stamped for 719 submit a claim for the additional procedure using the following information:

FAILED OBJECT: 10717
FAULT/REASON: 74
REPAIR/ACTION: 05
RECALL ACTION CODE (RAC): 3
LABOR OPERATION: 10717
TIME: 0.3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts