Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a 2000 Viggen with 166k miles on it. The seller is only asking $3200 for it. It has a rear quarter that got water under paint (previous fender bender fix) and it rusted. Not completely through, but needs to be sanded down and redone. Also, the center display has pixels out, but still "works" you could say. Does the CEL light come on in there like a volvo? Or is there a CEL on the dash that will light up if there is an issue? Also, there is a buzzing sound coming from the center console....doesnt sound mechanical....sounds electrical or maybe the fan controller for ac system.
On a good note, the car drives beautifully. Turbos pull hard even at low rpms. He also said he has never changed the turbos on it. I was reading if you have to change turbos you probably had a sludge issue. So that is good to hear im guessing?
How is the reliability of these cars in the above 150k category?
Ive owned a 3000gt VR4 and a toyota mr2 turbo (1993) and both had their share of issues here and there, but Im looking to use this car as a daily, patch it up a bit, and get a summer only car next summer. And use the viggen daily for comfort and fun. What do you guys think....too much hassle for this car?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use my Viggen as a DD now...I'm at 155k now...it has been pretty reliable.

Sounds like your interior temp sensor may be going bad. There is a check engine light that will go on if there is an issue. You should do a search on what to check out when buying a Saab

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just test drove a 2000 Viggen with 166k miles on it. The seller is only asking $3200 for it. It has a rear quarter that got water under paint (previous fender bender fix) and it rusted. Not completely through, but needs to be sanded down and redone. Also, the center display has pixels out, but still "works" you could say. Does the CEL light come on in there like a volvo? Or is there a CEL on the dash that will light up if there is an issue? Also, there is a buzzing sound coming from the center console....doesnt sound mechanical....sounds electrical or maybe the fan controller for ac system.
On a good note, the car drives beautifully. Turbos pull hard even at low rpms. He also said he has never changed the turbos on it. I was reading if you have to change turbos you probably had a sludge issue. So that is good to hear im guessing?
How is the reliability of these cars in the above 150k category?
Ive owned a 3000gt VR4 and a toyota mr2 turbo (1993) and both had their share of issues here and there, but Im looking to use this car as a daily, patch it up a bit, and get a summer only car next summer. And use the viggen daily for comfort and fun. What do you guys think....too much hassle for this car?
The SID can be easy fixed...do a search here and on the net "SID pixels repair".
The buzzing sound, if coming from the center low console, it must be the A/C sensor, a small fan than is taking air from inside the car, for analyze. That can be cleaned or changed, for small money.

What color is that Viggen? YMC, might I ask? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What color is that Viggen? YMC, might I ask? ;)
Well, that depends what part of the country your from my friend. Haha Its black. I was first and only to see it, and I think I am going to pick it up in the next few days. It sounds like a great deal to me. Im just afraid of major issues such as rod knock, blown motor, etc internal stuff happening soon. Not so concerned if the turbo goes as I semi expect that with almost 170k on it. But MAF, and other small things that dont require you to remove the engine Im ok with. Do these cars usually have internal engine problems? Ive read a few posts and would like to know if those are rare occurences. One I read happened at only 80k! Scary for me to read that and be looking at picking up one with over twice the mileage. I am not sure about that DI cassette thing being replaced though. Previous owner had it since 60k and said hes only really done regular maintenance nothing serious.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the rust than the mechanical bits. The old 9-3's, and the viggens are no different, seem to rust along the seams where the trunk floor, rear fender wells, and rear quarter panels all come together. And then water gets in there and can get in the trunk, adding to the problems. So I'd check that out pretty carefully. That said, the price seems to reflect the rust issue and mileage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What maintenance should I be looking at doing? The previous owner is saying the DI thing has never been replaced. He never had any problems he says just oil changes and tires and brakes. Kind of hard to believe for me....so far im going with it but what do you guys think? I asked about plugs and wires and he said never had an issue with them. Hes had it since a bit before 100k miles and it has about 170k now. Im looking at what maintenance is needed as preventative soon so I keep it in top condition. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you really want to make sure there is no issues with the engine the main failure of these is sludging up. so dropping the oil pan would be a easy assurance of that. i have 190k on mine with no engine issues, i autox it a bit this summer and wound up with lots of suspension work to be done. All in all mine has been pretty reliable car only once was i stranded and that was because the ignition switch fell out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.