Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Are there alternatives to Viggen power brake booster part no. 4836664? Recently, I read somewhere 1999-2000 9-5 2.3T power brake booster is the same as Viggen one, maybe with a different part number. So I do not have to spend $600-700 for an OEM Saab Viggen one. URO seal kit - 4836664s for $40 is one option, I might try that first. But if I have to take the booster out, a new one would be a better way to go. Please advise me. Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've gotta say, 4836664 looks incredibly similar to 4836656 which I just installed on my 2001 9-5. These boosters look identical on the outside so it might be worth giving it a shot. You do have some adjustability in the brake rod length when reinstalling the booster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viggen Brake Booster updat

I've got a thread about this.
https://www.saablink.net/forum/performance-modifications-ng900-old-9-3/78938.htm

tl;dr - the LHD viggen booster is the right hand drive 9-5 booster installed upside down, but it's also possible to convert to the regular 9-3 booster and master (ideally with a donor car to get all the matching parts).
Well, I got a new LHD Viggen Ate brake booster 4836664 for around $600 including taxes from ordereuroparts.com. It was the best price I can find. Yes, I have read about the 9-5 Ate booster 4836656 installed upside down discussion. But, I am not sure anyone tried it.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Viggen brake booster 4836664

It is absolutely ludicrous what they charge for those Viggen boosters.
My son installed the high priced 483664 brake booster in his 99 viggen last night. It was not a fun job, especially with the nuts on the booster brackets. We solved the booster vacuum leak issue but the car still running very lean at a 15-16 air-to-fuel ratio. Now, we ordered a smoke machine and will do some tests next week to see if we can find more vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a rebuilt one for 180. Pretty much the only thing that goes bad is the seal on the shaft. Oh well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viggen brake booster 4836664

I have a rebuilt one for 180. Pretty much the only thing that goes bad is the seal on the shaft. Oh well.
Thanks. I got the seal kit and will rebuild the original brake booster and keep it for future use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts