Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i managed to pick up a Viggen crossflow intercooler. Ive been following Installation instructions from http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050523.Saab_NG900_Intercooler/ lol i spent one night in confusion about what they consider "latches". I did have some difficulty getting the latches to release and ending up sticking a long flathead and simply pried and they popped off. When i removed the bumper i was very pleased with the comparison of the NG900 double pass IC compared to the Viggen cross flow. Viggen cross flow was nicer, a little taller and a little wider and gave the car a very nice look. On Dmitrys platonoff website, he install the viggen intercooler with out the 9-3 radiator hose and without the viggen IC hoses and ive decided to try and take the same route. Ill update to tell you how i set them up with pics. Heres my progress so far.

The intercooler when i first got it

Then i washed it and cleaned it up a bit and looks like this

Headlights Grill & Corner lamps removed

Bumper off old IC still on

I went and bought a radiater hose with the right diameter (MAKE SURE THE TUBE ACTUALLY HAS A 90 IN IT, AS YOU SEE MINE IS LIKE A 120 BEND AND IT WAS A PAIN MAKING IT WORK) using a 90 will make things go alot smoother and maker it look cleaner

Everything lines up pretty well

Next i installed the intake side - i use dawn hand soap to make the hoses and everythign slide together easily

Just to get an idea of how the Vig IC looks

Comparison of the two

Even my girlfriend likes the new intercooler

and Now put everything back together

·
Registered
913 Posts
Cash Stash

luckily this girl is my gf and not the smiley on the pavement
Looks high maintenance, the girl not the car.
If you want to keep her (the girl not the car), stop messin around with cars her same age.
If you want to keep her (the car not the girl), keep doin what you're doin.
She'll drive ya nuts and cost you alot but if you like the ride I'd keep her (both of them).
BTW, what's the rust spot on the underbelly?
Viggenkid- your mother's gonna catch you using all that lotion, ease up. You'll go blind, ask Ray Charles.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
i thought the stock viggen ic was black?

on my se HOT, my ic was black and had the hoses on each side just like the viggen ic.
You guys know there is nothing special about a "Viggen intercooler" right?

Just a single pass intercooler, like all other og9-3 single pass (all T7s got them and the T5 H.O.T.)

I think I've seen some Viggens with black ones, and some unpainted. Mine is unpainted, came off of a MY2000 car.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
it is special in that it is not a crappy double back intercooler and is just a cross flow.

I would still say its better than the stock 9-3 (base) intercooler.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
isnt what makes is special is the fact its a cross flow and not a dual pass?
yes, that is what he just said, thank you for repeating.
Eggsackery what VWSAABVT said. The single pass that came in the viggen is the same as the single pass that came in every T7 9-3, and as I noted, the 1999 9-3 HOT.

I keep seeing people selling them insinuating that the IC on the Viggen is rare and special. It is a slight upgrade for ng900s and low pressure 1999 9-3s.

Not one that I would spend more than $50 or so on though.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Eggsackery what VWSAABVT said. The single pass that came in the viggen is the same as the single pass that came in every T7 9-3, and as I noted, the 1999 9-3 HOT.

I keep seeing people selling them insinuating that the IC on the Viggen is rare and special. It is a slight upgrade for ng900s and low pressure 1999 9-3s.

Not one that I would spend more than $50 or so on though.
I assumed everyone said Viggen IC not for its "eliteness" but just that its much easier to know what one is saying.

And then you still need to rig a hose or get the $100 turbo exit hose. I would/will never go that path again.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.