Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gearbox on my 2000 Viggen is leaking, it started off as a slow drip that I noticed on the driveway, but now its getting worse. I suspect its the bearing from the linkage coming through the firewall, but I am not sure. I'm a navy pilot by trade, so I'm pretty good as diagnosing mechanical problems, but unfortunately for some reason can't pin this one down. I was wondering if anyone else had any similar problems/advice? Thanks pictures attached-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Shift shaft seals Do leak, But are easy to replace. But that much oil on top looks more like a loose Power steering resevoir clamp, the oil trails down the hose and leaks onto the top of the trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the power steering system and couldn't find a leak. The power steering reservoir and hoses coming out of it were tight, and no signs of fluid leaking could be found near the clamps, or on the hoses themselves. I cleaned up the top of the transmission, and hopefully I'll be able to spot the leak next time I drive. Picture of the shaft seal -

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
i have the same issue on my Vig. first is was the little black plastic plug on the top of the tranny. once i put that back i noticed it was the shaft seal as well. check both. most likely your cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow I feel really dumb. I must have looked directly at that missing plug about two dozen times and never caught it. I plugged it up yesterday and drove it, just checked it tonight and it is bone dry. Thanks for the advice and extra set of eyes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts