Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I officially jinxed myself in my follow-up email a few weeks back. The car started to stumble after the DICassette / plug replacement. Not quite as bad, but still very noticeable. I brought it back last week and they replaced the vacuum line connected to the purge valve (checked for any misfiring codes - none found). Once again, car is a little better, but not great. My question is: What else might it be? It appears after two days they will be replacing the crank angle sensor . . .
Lastly, just wanted to express my frustration - I love the Viggen when it is runnning well and not in the shop. Car is a CPO, so I haven't paid a dime thus far - just very disappointed with the number of issues I have had in one year and how many times it takes the Saab dealers to fix these issues (3rd visit for the stumble, 4 visits to replace a radio, 4 visits to solve CEL, etc). I am by no means lumping all dealers together, but 3 out of 3 is not a great sampling. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers - Matt

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think we sometimes depend too much on idiot lights and such. Not every fault turns on the 'Check Engine' light, and the Tech II won't pick up everything.

The crank sensor should throw a CEL if it fails.

A tankful of injector cleaner and fuel system cleaner work wonders.
A battery disconnect cured my stumbling once. Don't forget radio codes if you do!

Also suspect :
fuel pressure regulator
MAP sensor

Do note that not everything can be pinpointed with accuracy. For example, a code for a bad oxygen sensor doesn't mean the sensor is bad. It just means that the ECU has lost a signal, or that signal is erroneous. It could be a bad earth connection, not the sensor, and many good sensors have been thrown away needlessly.

My experience with the MAP sensor is another example. The engine would stumble intermittently, and it was really bad at low rpm. No CELs, nothing. Took long test drives with the TechII connected, nothing. The mechanic notes that the fuel is a little rich, and that it could have been caused by three different things, one of which was the MAP sensor. He put in a new one 'on trial' for a week. Well, no more stumble, much better low end power, so I quite happily paid them one week later. Now, if it was not the MAP sensor, they would have put my old one back, no charge, and gone on to te next suspect item on the list. Some things do take time to figure out, the mechanics are not supermen.

Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My money is on the Crank Angle sensor. This is now common in the viggens. Other dealers made bigger mistakes and replaced DI's, and even the MTB's. Finally arriving at the crank angle sensor. Hopefully that will sovlve the issues you are having.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts