Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 viggen which I just got a few weeks ago, pretty much since the day I picked it up it has had a problem with the clutch. First time I braught it in for service they said they couldn't replicate the noise.
Understandable because under normal driving conditions, it doesn't happen. It usually happens when the clutch gets a little hotter, stop and go traffic with slow releases, like creaping forward in traffic and only going into first gear. It sounds like a metal on metal binding noise for a brief second just at the catch point in the clutch.
Any ideas what this is, so I can tell the loosers at the dealership what to look for? and make sure I don't get charged for the repair!

Thanks

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
If Im thinking about this correctly, your clutch is doing the same this as mine. Does it make a sort of "squeaking" or "squeeling" noise when letting off the clutch slowing but giving more gas than normal?

If so, I had it pin pointed to being that the clutch has glazed the flywheel. Its not damaging anything or affecting performance...its just annoying to hear. When its like this, that just means that your flywheel could use a resurfacing, but it isn't that important to need to drop the tranny.

Oh and I'm using a Spec clutch with Viggen Pressure Plate.

·
Registered
584 Posts
A friend of mine has a V iggen with the same noise. He was told that it's the release bearing, and is a common problem with Viggens, but not something serious to worry about.

It doesn't sound like the typical bad release bearing noises I've heard from other cars though, so maybe there's something behind the glazed flywheel idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts