Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my viggen OEM antenna today from Taliaferro. Hoping to install it as soon as it gets back from the dealership, and get rid of that stupid old antenna. I might do some molding and fabricating to hide where the old antenna hole was. Any ideas? Does anyone know how to install this antenna? I have some ideas :)

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Im not sure on how to install it, but I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully you don't have to do any drilling. As far as molding the old antenna hole, you could use bondo, but the main thing would be having it repainted. That may cost a bit.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
it will look sweet when its done :mrgreen:

·
Registered
251 Posts
your definatly gonna have to drill, and i would take the car to the body shop just to have them fill the hole in and touch it up with some paint. theres no way around it unless u want it to look shitty

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well looking at the antenna wire that came with the viggen antenna, I believe it can connect directly into the existing antenna wire that runs to the back of the car. I will have to check to make sure, but I am pretty positive. As far as installation goes, I will have to drill a small hole on the roof of the car, and then the antenna is sort of wirless cause the antenna wire just sits underneath the antenna on the inside of the car. Hard to explain. But it should look sweet when I am done, since I love the viggen look :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
its suprising how something subtle like an antenna can look so much better on a car

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you will have to drill....and i belive you can get a plug from the dealer for the old hole...you also run the exsisting wires to the headliner...

good luck let us know how it comes out

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Rob, where did you find the antenna and how can I order one? I know you said Taliaferro, but i can't find it under their parts search.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ced, email parts at Taliaferro for price quote with shipping to your zip code. You have to order the "Everything Else" item on their catalog and put in Speedparts Viggen Antenna. It cost me $16.85 with shipping.

On to the installation:

It took me about 2 hours with a friend to get it installed. We first drilled the hole for the antenna. It had to be pretty big so it could fit the rubber plug on the bottom of the antenna. Then I ran the wires down through the side pillars and down to where the existing antenna wire was. The new one fit right into the existing wire, so I just unplugged the wire from the old antenna, and plugged the new one in. Easy as that! Then I made everything look nice again. Since I had to tear apart the back felt to get to the antenna and work. I plan on taking out the old one and getting a plug. Maybe I'll try the dealership.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you should ask that. I used the rear windshield wiper fluid dispensor as my middle mark, and sort of worked from there. I brought it back towards the front as much as I have seen on the viggens. I will take pictures once I get all of the new mods on that I have coming.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Glad to hear it was a success!! Can't wait for the pictures.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
is it one of those little shark fin antenna's??
because those were not meant to be for radio signals. Those were for the OnStar system. GM did a smart thing, and had PPG mold the radio antenna into the windshield. (one of the few smart GM things) but this happened in, I think, 2000, but dont quote me on that.

Brian

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The viggen antenna is the actual antenna for radio signals. That's what I am running on now, after I installed it. I disconnected the old antenna. Got to pull it out someday, cause it doen't go down all the way :(

·
Administrator
668 Posts
can you get any pics for us?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the pic. You can see clearly right behind the antenna is the remains of an old stick on one for looks. I still have to wait for a warm day to get that shit off. Wish me luck :?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK. So I took the stock NG900 antenna out, and went to my local dealership and purchased that insanely priced $22.00 plug for the whole where the old antenna was. It is basically just a hard plug that fits into the whole. I can take pics later. But it serves it purpose for 22 bucks, just a bit expensive. Anyone else purchase this plug? I will post pics soon.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I haven't purchased the plug yet. I recieved my antenna, and need to know how exactly you installed it.

Which part goes above the the car, and which part stays inside the cabin? Also how large was the drill hole, and how did you pull the headliner away?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are looking at the antenna, the rubber bit on the bottom goes on the top of the car, underneath that rubber bit is a round piece (connected to the rubber piece) that determines the size of the hole you need to drill into the top of the car. I am not sure what size it is, but it is farely big. I just used a smaller drill bit and moved it around until the rubber bit slid into place. Then the end of the included antenna cord with the circle on it goes "spikes" up into the top roof of the car, on the underside, and then the washer goes on to tighten it all up. I just pulled the headliner down with my hands, there are two screws holding it in place one on each side of the back of the car. Also, remove the rear cabin light, that's the exact spot I drilled down into, so I could tighten everything from inside the cabin, through the hole where the light was. Kind of convenient. Let me know if that helps or if you need anymore help. If you pull the stock antenna cord off the stock antenna the new cord plugs right into the old cord...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts