Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week or 2 i've been experiencing a lot of vibration in the steering wheel while driving on the highway. When the car was up on the lift the other day I looked around at the suspension components and for the most part they seemed okay. Some of the bushings could be replaced but it's not to the point where the bushings are torn. I know snow tires cause a lot of road noise but they have been on since i bought the car and up until recently have been fine. I was thinking maybe the wheels aren't 100% balanced anymore, I might have lost a weight or two in the snow storm. The vibration is at around 70mph and up, the car doesn't really feel as stable as it should be. I might just take the car to get the tires balanced again and see if it helps. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
913 Posts
shakin all over

Make sure mother nature hasn't rebalanced your wheels for you. I've had some episodes where the snow and ice on the wheels melted, then ran down to the bottom of the rim and refroze. It happens.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Li'l Red had that issue before she came East from Minnesota.

There is some discussion that you can take both off and swap them to have them wear the other way. It's not a permanent fix, but it makes life better for a bit.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Make sure mother nature hasn't rebalanced your wheels for you. I've had some episodes where the snow and ice on the wheels melted, then ran down to the bottom of the rim and refroze. It
happens.
Thanks for the info! I'll take a look at some point tomorrow, were supposed to get another 6 inches of snow tonight. But I'm surprised ice can throw off the balancing and cause noticeable vibration

Wheel bearing?

Any slop on the wheels when it's up in the air?
I honestly forgot to check, hopefully if it doesn't snow too bad tomorrow I'll jack it up and check. Don't bearings start to make noise when they start to fail? The vibration only starts once you get up to 65 70 mph+, if it was the bearings wouldn't I notice vibration at lower speeds as well?

If it's only under acceleration i'd bet it's your inner drivers :(
I get vibration both during acceleration and deceleration, I'v also put the car in neutral on the highway 70+ and It still vibrates

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Li'l Red had that issue before she came East from Minnesota.

There is some discussion that you can take both off and swap them to have them wear the other way. It's not a permanent fix, but it makes life better for a bit.
I'm assuming you're talking about the inner drivers? I'm hoping thats not the case but if it is I think I might end up doing that for the time being

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Don't bearings start to make noise when they start to fail?
Mine never really made much noise; the ride just got worse and worse. Best way to check for wheel bearings is to find a snow free parking lot and make low speed tight turns. If its not 100% smooth its the bearings.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll take a look at some point tomorrow, were supposed to get another 6 inches of snow tonight. But I'm surprised ice can throw off the balancing and cause noticeable vibration

I honestly forgot to check, hopefully if it doesn't snow too bad tomorrow I'll jack it up and check. Don't bearings start to make noise when they start to fail? The vibration only starts once you get up to 65 70 mph+, if it was the bearings wouldn't I notice vibration at lower speeds as well?

Mine started making noise like a mother lol.

I get vibration both during acceleration and deceleration, I'v also put the car in neutral on the highway 70+ and It still vibrates
I'd say thats a good thing in the sense that it's probably not the inner drivers, but as aireeca said you can swap them side to side i believe.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing that makes me think it's not the bearing is that the vibration starts around 65 and it seems the faster i accelerate the less vibration I get. I guess I'll take the car to get the tires balanced later today or tomorrow

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Um, unless you live in a different New Jersey, have you considered that one of your wheels may be d-shaped due to potholes. If you bang the inner lip of the rim, you can't tell until you're underneath the car.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Both bearing and inner driver failure should show up way before 70 mph. I'd say you definitely have a wheel balance issue.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Um, unless you live in a different New Jersey, have you considered that one of your wheels may be d-shaped due to potholes. If you bang the inner lip of the rim, you can't tell until you're underneath the car.
Haha oh man the roads are getting worse and worse after every snow storm. We're supposed to get more snow Tuesday and apparently its going to be almost as bad as the Christmas one we had. Are you still in jersey city?

I didn't get a chance to get the wheels balanced today so hopefully tomorrow I'll know more

Both bearing and inner driver failure should show up way before 70 mph. I'd say you definitely have a wheel balance issue.
That's what i figured. I did the sharp turn test in the parking lot, locked left is fine but locked right it seems like somethings rubbing or i guess not spinning freely? I'm assuming that means a bad bearing? Ill still have my wheels checked Tomorrow just to rule that out.

Now idk if this is a c900 thing or not but when the wheels were locked one way it seemed like i could go around in circles without the steering wheel straightening out, is that normal? Shouldn't the wheel start to straighten out as soon as i start to accelerate?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
During the week, yeah, still in Jersey City and damn glad the landlord's association fee pays for plowing and snow removal. Right now, the wind is rattling the windows.

Fun. This isn't a normal Jersey winter, right? This seems more Vermontish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a similar symptom, did the wheel balancing, alignment, replaced a couple of control arm bushings, wiggled the wheels while up on jack stands. Decided to live with it for a couple of years, finally detected some looseness while changing to winter tires, and replaced the tie rod end. Problem solved, but I feel like I wasted money fixing things that weren't broken.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
its AMAZING what a poorly balanced wheel will do. I've had a car that was barely driveable at 40mph; rotating the tires in an X fashion cleared the problem right up. it was weird.

also, you could have piched a wheel weight or two. I'd balance, and rotate your tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts