Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone know if they even make a vertical door conversion kit for a 9-5? Just considering options.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Osiris said:
ANyone know if they even make a vertical door conversion kit for a 9-5? Just considering options.
options for what?! :shock: I say if you want Scissor doors - buy a Lambo. Don't go craxy on a 9-5 man - much more you can do performance wise before you worry about how a door opens.... It works now right? Words to follw in life; If it ain't broke, then don't fuck with it! Of course in areas such as performance we can ignore that.... :lol:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True burnside true nothing on my car is broke, but considering I bought that lovely 4 yr extended warranty that basically prohibits me from doing anything significant for power gains to the engine I have to consider looks over performance. I would rather spend the $1800 + dollars for the vertical doors on things like a downpipe, complete ecu upgrade, boost controller, turbo timer, better turbo, forged pistons, and you get the idea. Problem with all that...reduces life of the car probably because of the intense combustion and it voids my warranty unless they are genuine saab parts installed by a saab mechanic and those parts don't irectly conflict with my warranty contract. So I would rather have my 9-5 be seen and then put everything else in later. Sure it may only get to 60 in a little over 7 seconds, but for a 4200 pound car I am not surprised and even though it would be nice to see it get to 60 in like under 6 I don't have the freedom to do that. SO that is my dillema .. I agree performance is very nice and undeniably the best part of owning a car is experiencing its full power potential. I just don't have the resources to do it. SO that is why I have been doing the whole look customization searching lately. And holy crap :shock: I just noticed how much I just wrote. Anyway I am done and please give me suggestions performance and customization cause I am new to all this car stuff and I really trust you guys and your opinion.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Good Points - Warrenty is not a word I've gotton to use before - so I'm not used to thinking it... lol Anyways - I've seen BMW esc mirrors on Saabs before which look kewl - that's one route- also Smoked Tails adds a lotta look to a car. Not too dark tho remember :p

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah warranties can be a double edged sword. I am glad I bought fine though cause I have already matched about half of it for parts and labor. New headwipe rotor, seat motor, and some other engine part that was misfiring. At this point though here is what I am thinking along the lines of customizing....

Interior
Aluminum/ metallic control panel instead of the wooden
Chrome speaker covers
Chrome Vents?
carbon fiber dash
dvd/nav/cd player
New MAts
Customized Headrests
New Interior Lighting
12's

Exterior
chrome mesh grille
vertical doors
chrome brake calipers
clear headlight
clear side markers
spoiler

there are other things too but lets just keep it at that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously now does anyone know if those lambo vertical kits are universal or not? cause a 9-5 rolling up to pop open verticals would definitely turn heads. What can I say I love getting looks in my car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
are you planning on getting the motorized lambo doors or just the doors that open vertically? i would highly advise against the motorized ones simply b/c they are meant for show....they are not the most practical thing in the world, after perusing the net i haven't seen any lambo door kits available for saab......

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only company I've seen that claims universal applications is http://www.autoloc.com They also have all sorts of shaved handle kits and weird hinges. Judging by the number of ads in magazines I see with thier parts, they must be somewhat decent...right???

·
Registered
745 Posts
take a look at autoaccessories.com at http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/h...sub_name=Body Kits&sec_id=&sec_name=&wizard=1

they sell theirs for $1500, out of NY and claims it will fit all cars. I'd take it to a professional for any customization work needed. count on doubling the cost....1500 + 1500 for everything.

mine will be done by a company that will order and install for 2.8k with choice of shaved door handles, or automatic.

my 900 will get the original door hinge shaved, and a strut installed inside the fender to push the door up on lock release. You could call this number if it helps....410 342-1717, and he'll give you his distributor in Jersey.

good luck..

·
Registered
745 Posts
oh yea....I think I've modded my car enough for power, handling and stopping..., I'm working on the tricks that make her look stock but not act stock...

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
hey Osiris, the virus, the most highest....

I put the sick in your mu-sick with Osirus
Bound to blow like a bad sinus

j/k, do you like Wu-tang clan?
:wink:

anyways, just my opinion but I would not combine too many types of colors/materials together. Maybe if you want a CF dash then do the other parts in CF as well. or stick to all aluminum. I think chrome is better suited to the outside of the car, and in general should be used sparingly, for small accents, not a major compent of the "theme"... but calipers might be a royal pain to keep looking nice in chrome? try to get a "theme" going rather than just little bits of this and that, i think it will look more "put together" and intentional. especially if you intend to enter in any car shows or anything...Too many different things going on and it may look like you didn't have a plan and couldn't decide on any one thing, or take the time to put it together properly.

Also most people into Saabs like the more subtle looks, so you may not find lots of Saabers who are into the more "creative" types of looks, being that the car in general already has a simple Scandanavian type design... but at least here people are younger and generally more into trying new things.

but really it comes down to what you like best, it is your car and your opinion counts more than anyone else's. remember that. some people hate (and I mean really let me know hopw terrible they thought it was) my grill over on one of the other Saab boards but I could care less because i like it and think it looks mean. :twisted:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By chrome I ment like a black chrome for the simple reason that its no as predominate till you look at it and it doesn't stand out like regular chrome... but I agree that to much of as and too little of that can turn crap real quick. Only problem is on the inside of my 9-5 what would I change? surely the lighting and I think like the metallic control panel set up.. maybe not so much the carbon dash, but the problem comes from one simple thing. I really don't know exactly what I want. I have thrown out some ideas like maybe a white interior and all I got back on that was yuck :cry: . I guess i'll work on the black chrome mesh grille and the black chrome calipers and yes I know they would be hard to clean but can you say worth it?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Osiris said:
By chrome I ment like a black chrome.... I really don't know exactly what I want. I have thrown out some ideas like maybe a white interior and all I got back on that was yuck :cry: .
oh, black chrome sounds much nicer. I really love the "shadow chrome" gunmetal type finish on BMW M5 wheels... gunmetal is a good way to have some metal-look and fall nicely in between the in your face bling of super shiny silver polished chrome, and totally blacked out everything.

Hey, if you wanna do a white interior, go for it. I personally don't like white with red and black, or on cars in general, i feel like it's too Florida/retiree looking, but I mean, some people like colored interiors. RCM has yellow. some guy on SC is painting his blue to match his car. so why not do what you like? All i am saying is it depends who you want to impress:

A. other saabers - they will most likely like more simple, stock type looks, nothing too over the top or too "ricey"
B. young import fans - they will be more receptive to wilder looking things and more "creative" and less conservative color schemes and mods
C. car show judges - make sure to have a plan, some sort of put together theme or "look" not just a hodge-podge of random bits thrown together
D. yourself - you make yourself happy, be individual, and tell anyone who doesn't like it to screw themself.

:twisted:

maybe get custom seats that are basically the same leather but with subtle, small red accents, like the new Aero seats in the 9-3 SS, but use red to match your car? That would be subtle but more different than the usual type of Saab thing to do?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
D. yourself - you make yourself happy, be individual, and tell anyone who doesn't like it to screw themself.
Right on! I like what you did with that interior, nice subtle look. But yes not stock. It's always the color-coded cars that look the best IMO. Too many colors are distracting, and take away from the overall appearance of the car. Chrome is one of those colors that distracts the eye, especially on the exterior. Most people getting into my car would notice the chrome door handles before the interior :shock:

I also love the stealth black look like abdukted does...Just my type of car I guess...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I so want to do the red now. More then anything. The big problem that is holding me up is that damned control panel. Its got the wood look but will an all black interior car it looks crappy. I wish I could find a gunmetal finish for it because that would work a lot better. I'll take pics of the interior here soon and post so you guys get a feel of what I am trying to work with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts