Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a 2001 9-5 V-6.

I've been warned about Saab V-6s? What's the story from the experts here?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site 8)

I only have experience with the V6 and I4 NG900s, but think of it like this:

V6- Have more power than the I4 non-turbo, and don't come turboed..
I4(Non Turbo) - Less powerful than the V6.
I4 w/ Turbo - More powerful than a V6.

So it depends on if you want a turbo or not (which I wouldn't see why you wouldn't). But if so, then your only choise is an I4 Turbo. If not, then I suggest you get a V6.

I hope this helps.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Oh and just for clarification... the V stands for an angled 6 cylinders that form a V shape. Some cars (no Saabs) have a Straight 6 (crank straight up and down), but there aren't many. No Saabs come in V4s (actually few cars do), but Saabs and most cars have a Inline 4 cylinders, hence I-4. ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Avoid the V6 at all costs. Any 2.3L turbo engine is the way to go. I have a wonderful Aero with the best Saab engine (B235R) for sale in the classifieds. But honestly, the V6 has some issues.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
we have a v6 9-5, and it is turbo'd but, i would still recomend the 2.3.
The news 9-5s dont even have the option of the V6, so if your lookin for new, dont worry about it, but used, the V6 only comes in an auto

·
Registered
711 Posts
The V6 engines used in Saabs are of Opel descent. The 2.5 litre V6 (170hp) used in the 900, and the 3.0 litre V6 used in the 9000 (182hp) are identical to their GM Europe counterparts. They are pretty sturdy, efficient and fast. However, they are not as "fun" to a Saab enthusiast as the turbocharged 4-cyl's that have been Saab's hallmark for the past 25 years. The 3 litre V6 used in the 9-5 was similar to the 182-hp unit in the 9000, however it introduced a neat technology not known before, namely assymetrical turbocharging. Essentially a tiny turbo is unitized into one of the exhaust manifolds, lightly pressurizing the intake charge, donning an extra 18hp boost to the motor. The 9-5 V6 was not availible in North America with a standard transmission, and that puts most of us out of one. If you don't need/like the feel of the turbo, and want a little more power than the standard LPT 4-cyl, then go for the V6, otherwise stay with the four.

There is also an Isuzu 3 litre V6 turbodiesel availible in other markets for the 9-5, widely regarded as one of the best diesels around. But not in USA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to clear a few things up..
SAAB did use a V4... up til the 70's :wink:

The 3.0V6 in the 9000 in europe at least put out 210bhp.
The unit used in the 9-5 is no relation to this engine, it is derived from 2 GM 3 cylinder units, matched to an asymetric single turbo, clever design, and if all you want is a reliable engine with little tuining potential you can't go far wrong.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You are correct in the 210hp rating of the 9000 V6, although the turbo 9-5 version only put out 200. The same motor in other North American uses puts out 182, and somehow I forgot this fact.

But I am quite certain that the LPT V6 in the 9-5 is very similar (save turbo & use of Trionic) to the 9000 V6, right down to both displacing 2 962cc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hahaha its been proven, I raced my friend who has a V6 and my I4 smoked it. The Swedish tuned 4cyl i believe is faster than the GM V6.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: V-6 vs. V-4?

saabnewbie said:

I think the V6 is more reliable and more cost efficient than the I4's. My dad keeps telling me the V6 is a way better engine and here in North America we drive bigger engines, just his opinion but I think hes right on that part. Well good luck on the purchase and hope to see some pics soon. You will love driving a Saab. Once you get into one, you wont want to get out!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Re: V-6 vs. V-4?

jedi_master58 said:
saabnewbie said:

I think the V6 is more reliable and more cost efficient than the I4's. My dad keeps telling me the V6 is a way better engine and here in North America we drive bigger engines, just his opinion but I think hes right on that part. Well good luck on the purchase and hope to see some pics soon. You will love driving a Saab. Once you get into one, you wont want to get out!
I STRONGLY DISSAGREE! Sorry - but after working with and talking to many ppl who have delt with Saab's the V6 has MANY problems - and the timing chain is the biggest issue. When that goes (and it will) it tends to take a lot of the motor with it. The V6 is not a motor I suggest - u see V6 - "you do what we do - run! Don't try to be a hero."

·
10,303 Posts
I posted a reply to your Vortex question, by saying Boat Anchor. Glad to see you found us.

I still vote for Turbo 4cyl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts