Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get parts together for upgrading my brakes later this year or early next.

I don't want to spend $3k for some extravagant aftermarket stuff.

Here is what I am thinking:

06+ 9-3SS Aero calipers and 314mm rotors

Please help me confirm, this is a 100% direct bolt on, but I require the 9-3SS brake lines. That's an excuse to upgrade to the brake lines. For pads I am thinking Hawk Ceramics. Do I also need to modify the dust shield?

I am thinking I can get this done for under $500 though I may need used calipers to do it at that price.

Now for the rear, looks like they got rid of the 300mm rear setup on the '06+ cars. So I figure I will do that setup which I once did on the Viggen with a GS kit. Is there another option, is the 06+ 9-3SS another option or improvement over the 300mm setup?

TIA

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You're running 18's so there is always the Cobalt SS/Brembo option? I know Tweak and some others had done the upgrade, and I feel like it can be had for ~$1000 or so. Just something else to consider. The 300mm vented setup in the rear is a no brainer.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're running 18's so there is always the Cobalt SS/Brembo option? I know Tweak and some others had done the upgrade, and I feel like it can be had for ~$1000 or so. Just something else to consider. The 300mm vented setup in the rear is a no brainer.
Yes, 18s.

Hmm, Brembos would be nice, a real upgrade to the SS? Maybe someone will chime in with what's involved.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I have all but the rotors (and spacers) for putting Brembo's on my 9-5. Just waiting for the damn Hawk HP pads and cryo rotors to show some signs of wear...

Besides the calipers, pads and pins, you need...

Custom cut rotors(lots of controversy around rotors):
Brembo Kit 315mm Sport Rotors Pair (For Saab), GenuineSaab.com

Mounting Bolts(be careful with recommendations as the NG9-3 uses different length bolts then the 9-5)
M12 x 1.75 x 40 MM Class: 10.9 Flanged/Automotive

Bushings:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...6&pagenum=1120

And I believe extended brake lines. But there are lots of arguments around that as well.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have all but the rotors (and spacers) for putting Brembo's on my 9-5. Just waiting for the damn Hawk HP pads and cryo rotors to show some signs of wear...

Besides the calipers, pads and pins, you need...

Custom cut rotors(lots of controversy around rotors):
Brembo Kit 315mm Sport Rotors Pair (For Saab), GenuineSaab.com

Mounting Bolts(be careful with recommendations as the NG9-3 uses different length bolts then the 9-5)
M12 x 1.75 x 50 MM Class: 10.9 Flanged/Automotive
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11115751?disallowLinks=true

Bushings:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...6&pagenum=1120

And I believe extended brake lines. But there are lots of arguments around that as well.
Yeah, I have read up on it. The lines are debatable, but '06+ 9-5 people said they have been fine with the stock lines.

I have also seen debate over which rotor to use. Local guy machined the hub to accept Cobalt rotors and is willing to machine mine as well, that is the route I am going.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought all the components for the 300mm rear upgrade including Nick's slotted rotors to match the front 315mm ones I got from him.

Going to tackle the front install in less than two weeks with help from Sean(SRP) and may hopefully have time to do the rears as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.