Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 900 so my car didn't come with door speakers or any of the necessary wires. I was lucky to find a set of speakers from a junkyard, and I was lucky enough that they cut off all of the wires running to the amp and to the speakers so I could set it up my own way. Please note, I used http://particlesalad.com/saab/ for pictures and reference below as well as http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Audio/Preamp.html for a picture. The most difficult part of this project is running wires from the door to the interior of the car. Since the 900 SE models ran through the multi-pin cable in the door frame, you must drill a small hole to run wires. So let's begin.

For this project, you will need the following:

Two 6.5" speakers, the 8-pin black wire, saab clarion amp.

First, I prepared each of the speaker wires by taking the speaker connectors that the junkyard saved for me and of course making them longer.

And then wrapping them good with electrical tape

If you did not get these speaker connectors, then you can always run wires straight to the speaker.

Now make sure you remember what color connects to what color. I used blue and blue/black for my speaker wires on each door.

Next you can either remove the door panel, or drill the hole for the wires. I pulled the door panel off first on the passenger door, but drilled first on the driver's side door.

So in the image above, all of the yellow circles (5) are where plastic pins connect the door panel to the frame, there is also a plastic pin that connects next to the inside door handle (see picture). And if you look closely, you can see all of the bolts (I screwed them all back in for reference). Two on the bottom, two in the middle (you must pry off the top of the middle door handle to reach these two), and the last one is in the actual door handle piece (you must pry off a black cap to get to it).

Now the hardest / most scariest part is taking off the door panel since you don't want to break any of the pins. Now the way you go about doing this is start at the bottom next to the speaker grille. Slowly fit your hand behind it and jiggle it until it pops off. Then move to the opposite corner and do the same thing, then moving up to the door lock. Next, push the door lock down and pull the door panel over the lock. But remember it's still connected to the door so don't pull away from the frame, but rather up. The last pin is underneath the inside mirror case. Since all the other pins are removed just start rotating the whole door panel back and forth clockwise, counterclockwise and slowly pull towards you, and it will pop off. If you are on the driver's side make sure you pull off the power connector to the rear-hatch open button.

Now that the door panel is off. There will be a hard-panel covering the back of the speaker grille on the door panel that you will need to remove.

And also a leather/plastic piece that is perforated on the actual frame you must remove. In this picture below, it's actually on the removed door panel, mine was on the door frame.

Then there is a another fabric piece but it is stuck to the frame you must remove. You can see it in this picture, courtesy of http://particlesalad.com/saab/

Ok on to the drilling. Remove the multi-pin connector by rotating the piece that connects to the door frame. It will get loose and you can pop it right off. I then drilled a small hole right behind the multi-pin connector piece. See below.

I then ran wire from the inside of the door panel to that small hole. It was very difficult the first time, HINT bend the tip of the wire, making a small hook and make sure the two wires (+ and -) are connected, not split. Once the wire ran all the way through, I put it aside so I could attach the speaker.

Now you must remove the rubber grommet piece on the actual car's side of the door multi-pin connector. Just yank at it and it comes off. Then you have to remove the rubber grommet on the inside of the car, the inside connector is visible in this photo, follow the blue wires :) It's that gray rubbery thing...

It's hard, but you need to route the wire through the outside grommet in the door connector, to the inside of the car. They are offset by a couple inches. Once both grommets are off you can slip in a finger on each end and slip the wire through. Now once you get that through, pull it all the way into the interior of your car, put the door panel back on, in reverse of above and you are ready to wire up the amp. Here is what the wire looks like hidden behind the multi-pin connector, barely noticeable:

Now I couldn't find a power cord for my amp ANYWHERE. So i took the phone power cord, the one dangling here.

And spliced into the power :) I then grounded the amp on the inside frame of the car under a nut.

This is the location of the amp.

It attaches to the frame with three bolts, two by the cords of the amp, and one below the amp.

You need to connect the amp with the 8-pin black wire, seen in photo above, to the head unit like so.

Only it will run from the inside of the car behind the head unit, not like picture above where cord is outside of the whole console. And make sure the 90º end plugs into the amp. Next you must take the two wires from each door and connect them to the cord that goes into the amp, the green one in this picture.

Once again, I had all of the wires spliced so I could keep the connectors that hook into the amp. You will need to either find these, or splice the wires right from the amp.

And basically that's it. You now have working door speakers.

I took me a couple hours with the doors open to figure out how I was going to run the wires into the cabin, so my battery died from those damn lights not turning off in the interior. Make sure you turn those off somehow, not sure how :D

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
good shit man!

glad to see you got evrything up and work how u wanted...

i think im going to use your behind the mutipin wire trick......:D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Still RCM that is some sick customization you have there.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i am currently selling my kit as we speak on ebay i put in an aftermarket radio and replaced those speakers and amp

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only ask why??? When my system is on LOUD mode and the bass is turned about all the way up, the bass is incredible. Better than I could have ever imagined...It's a perfect system, so that will be my last audio upgrade :D

I saw your ebay listing. Instead of putting dealer installation recommended you should of put a link to this topic so people could install it themselves and you could advertise Saab Link at the same time...Damn :shock:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
lol there are a lot of people that will complain when they screw something up on their car and the first person they blame is u for not telling them..... the reason i am selling them is because with my subs in the car and all the new speakers i put in these were useless

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Glad you got it done! It does make a big difference. The cable terminals from Saab are a few dollars and really cleanup the install. It is not too tricky to run the wires in the stock boot. Then no Drilling :)

Article : Cable terminal (DOOR SIDE)
PartNo : 4223616
Usage : AREA 1, 5-2, 5 MM2
Order Quantity : 4

Article : Cable terminal (Harness Side)
PartNo : 4224861
Usage : AREA 1, 5-2, 5 MM2
Order Quantity : 4
$1.60 to 1.70 each.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn, I even called my dealership to see if they had a kit I could buy to run the wires through the multi-pin connector. The guy said he had no idea what I was talking about and never heard of anyone that has ever upgraded to the door speakers...Crazy ass dealership partsmen...

I may just go out and get those parts, I am assuming you need 8 pieces total then, two for each side of the multi-pin connector, and two doors :D And then do a proper installation with new photos and seal up the old hole...

Why couldn't you posted a little earlier Nick, where you been! :evil: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts