Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it an easy swap to go from the climate control unit with all dials to the new digital version seen below. I think this would be a cool upgrade project. Looks nicer too. I searched the forums and found ERP had said this: "if you are trying to upgrade from a manual climate control it is a lot more work than just switching the unit. You will need the cabin temperature and sunlight sensor, and the motors to open/close the vents." Any more word on this?

My current one:

Found this one for a 9000 on ebay. Will this work?

at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7918238236

·
Registered
145 Posts
The one you posted form eBay looks different than mine.

The thing _will_ work wihtout these sensor, I know, because I had all mine off for htel ast week, but it won't work as well. It would work as jsut a replacement ot the knobs, not as an automatic environmental control unit (ie it own't Hold a temperature, only set it). Or it might be way off - all I cared about all week was that the AC was running ;).

Another thing to consider is that this unit is allot more liekly to fail than knobs... but if we were worried baout that, we wouldn't have bought Saab's, would we :lol: ?

honestly I owuld go ask your dealership, tell them you want ot buy the whole thing, and have them list out the part numbers and show you diagrams and stuff, then contact Nick at Taliafaerro and he can get you the parts allot cheaper.

My Saab dealership is cool about this kind of stuff, they always help me remove stuff or get it back in, and find which parts I need.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help :D trioptimum you live so close you should stop by sometime for an Ohio/PA run...

After reviewing comments from other boards, it seems like a difficult task to go from manual to automatic. And most people were wanting to go from auto to manual climate control because it seems the auto has a mind of it's own sometimes. It would be a lot of parts to purchase also, motors to open and close the air vents, sun sensor, air temperature sensor, new digital climate control module and a lot of necessary wiring. Seems like a fun thing to do, but the benefits of the automatic system do not outweigh all the effort needed to set it all up...maybe another day...

·
Registered
145 Posts
rcmdesign said:
Thanks for the help :D trioptimum you live so close you should stop by sometime for an Ohio/PA run...

After reviewing comments from other boards, it seems like a difficult task to go from manual to automatic. And most people were wanting to go from auto to manual climate control because it seems the auto has a mind of it's own sometimes. It would be a lot of parts to purchase also, motors to open and close the air vents, sun sensor, air temperature sensor, new digital climate control module and a lot of necessary wiring. Seems like a fun thing to do, but the benefits of the automatic system do not outweigh all the effort needed to set it all up...maybe another day...
I agree. 2 things are happening with mine: first, the screen keeps fading out really dark, then sometimes it will tunr back on to full backlit and be fine. Second, the heatr owrked last week, but it's getitng colder out, and even turning it up to 80 it sitll blasts the AC at me ><!

Paint those knobs yellow - or snd hte paint off, and if it's clear plastic underneath, backlight them! Either way it can certainly be cusotmized more :). I'm going to unplug the senseors from mine and see if I can get my heat on...

Where/when do you guys have meets? Needs to be kinda close for a weekend, I don't think I coud make it farther than Pittsburgh until summer ^_-.

Oh, what's that little blue light on your dash next to the heated seat buttons?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts