Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I grew up in Lockport on a canal outside of Chicago. It took a trip to a sub museum in Groton, Connecticut, and RedAeroGirl's keen memory to learn that they had floated newly built subs down our gross canal during World War II.

I found these photos of them loading the subs into floating docks in my town (about four blocks from the house where I grew up). Kinda neat, definitely dorky. Thought I would share.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those pics in large resolution would be framed in my apt. Love them. Love sub pics in general. They're so scary and intimidating.
There's an option to get framed copies. I'm seriously considering it for the compound. There are very few things I love about the xenophobic hamlet into which I was dropped as an infant, but this, belatedly, is one of them.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
12x18 seems to be the og photo size. We should pool resources and buy them, scan them, and possibly print em bigger. I think we need jk88 to chime in here. I'm not keen on such small sizes.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
12x18 seems to be the og photo size. We should pool resources and buy them, scan them, and possibly print em bigger. I think we need jk88 to chime in here. I'm not keen on such small sizes.
Would be best to know the original neg size. They list the print size at 12x18" which is 35mm format. Could be bigger like 2.25" or 4x5" and just cropped, though... A quick Google of that photographer didn't reveal any info about his chosen format.

At any rate they have probably been scanned into their archive at super high resolution, and will reproduce well at that size.

If you want to go larger, I would email them asking for the original negative size and see if they would be willing to print larger (for more $$, of course).

Scanning a print is possible but printing directly from their scanned negative file would give the best results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts