Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for a Uniden BCT-12, it's a scanner basically, don't offer me any other model cause that's the one i want.

if you have one, or know someone who does, i'll negotiate a price

~justin

·
Registered
122 Posts
saabguy said:
Hey, I'm looking for a Uniden BCT-12, it's a scanner basically, don't offer me any other model cause that's the one i want.

if you have one, or know someone who does, i'll negotiate a price

~justin
BCT-12 is no longer made by Uniden. If you get it, make sure you install the window antenna as the stubby does not provide enough gain. It's a good piece for monitoring smokey... but does not offer CB scan capability nor is it reprogrammable if they change frequencies in your state.

If you are going on long road trips its good to have CB as truckers will often tell each other of construction up ahead and speed traps. It is now against the law for 18 wheelers to operate radar detectors across the 48 so they watch out for each other. Remember, if the cop is using LIDAR or instant-on and is not using his radio or has an in-car repeater, you get no warning until its too late. This was the main driver for me getting the BCT-7. Unfortunately, BCT-7 does not have codes for Canada.

·
Administrator
302 Posts
What frequencies does the US cops operate on? The Swedish ones use 78-80MHz FM, but are about to go digital-encrypted so all scanners will be useless in Sweden :(

I have a DLS 160, which covers 78-80MHz, but alas it will soon be useless. Most Swedish cops have also converted to the new system which uses 410MHz instead.

·
Registered
122 Posts
bollman said:
What frequencies does the US cops operate on? The Swedish ones use 78-80MHz FM, but are about to go digital-encrypted so all scanners will be useless in Sweden :(

I have a DLS 160, which covers 78-80MHz, but alas it will soon be useless. Most Swedish cops have also converted to the new system which uses 410MHz instead.
Frequencies vary by state and city. Use of digital ecryption and trunking will block eavesdropping, but the proximity of RF signals in assigned freqencies will allow you to locate smokey. Upgrading a functional radio system is not a high priority with police when personnel cutbacks are more of an issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
What is a good price for a used, but good conditioned BCT-7, or is the BCT12 better... i take it the BCT-7 is the better of the two.
BCT-7 and BCT-12 are manufactured by Uniden so check out the Uniden site.

BCT-12 is no longer manufactured so, check out ebay.

BCT-7 is available retail around $200. I got mine for $150 after a little searching.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when the bct-12 was new, it was going for over 400 bucks, from a dealer, on ebay, i've seen them hit between 175 and 350, they are really rare, and as soon as i get some money, one of them is mine, then i'm gonna save up my money and get rid of my crappy rocky mountain radar dls310, i've heard it's bad, it claims to jam radar, and it's saved me a few times actually, and once i get rid of that, it's a valentine 1 all the way!

i am currently the high bidder on this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3069661800 so please do not bid on that one, please don't, lol, there are two others, grab those, i want this one.

lol, cops upgrading their radio systems... in maine HAHAHAHA, like that's gonna happen, all of the radar guns of the cops in my town are 12 years old(i asked them, lol), and that's just old, they would upgrade radar before radio defintately

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
definately a bct-12 if you don't think that they are gonna be upgrading radio in your state for a few years(like maine), lol, but if you want to be able to reprogram it and take it in the house then get the bct-7, but the 12 is a lot smaller, and is a lot cooler i think, please don't bid on the one i am

~justin

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
OK - i found a Uniden Bear Tracker 800 BCT-7 WITH a Radio Shack TRC-496 40 Channel CB Radio.

So far it's a good price plus $13 shipped - I intend to bid assuming I can get it for about $55-60 plus shipping. (so far it's looking good)

That sounds like a good deal?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes it does, see if you can find me a cheap bct-12

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know i see that, but i bet if i bid on that, it'll go up to like 200 easy before the end of the auction, i'm gonna try and not bid on it, see if people ignore it, then right at the last minute, bam i'm gonna bid, lol sneaky sneaky

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i check it like every 10 minutes to see if a buy it now comes up, lol

~justin

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
that's NOT going to happen, but you COULD e-mail the seller and make him an offer, so he can end the auction early. Sometimes they will bite. I know I take offers 8) (psst - check out my auctions ;) http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=jshore85 ) they are rather slim right now however, but if ya find the "about me"
link there you'll find a link to DeLoreans goods, MUCH more then what I got up right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have removed my BCT 7 from my car and using it at home only.

Source:
FLORIDA STATUTES (1995) -
Title 46, CRIMES; Ch. 843, OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE; § 843.16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

843.16 Unlawful to install radio equipment using assigned frequency of
state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions;
penalties

(1) No person, firm, or corporation shall install in any motor vehicle or
business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch
vehicle as herein defined or a place established by munincipal,
county, state, or federal authority for governmental purposes, any
frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned
as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the
Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement
officers of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of
its agencies. Provided, nothing herein shall be construed to affect
any radio station licensed by the Federal communications Commission
or to affect any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in
covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor
certified pursuant to Part II of Chapter 489, Operating a Central
Monitoring System.

(2) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Emergency vehicle" shall specifically mean:

1. Any motor vehicle used by any law enforcement officer or
employee of any city, any county, the state, the Federal Bureau
of Investigation, or the Armed Forces of the United States while
on official business;

2. Any fire department vehicle of any city or county of the
state or any state fire department vehicle;

3. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles when said
vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the
state;

4. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the
sheriff of any county in the state when said vehicle is to be
assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said county

5. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the
chief of police of any city in the state when said vehicle is to
be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said city.

(b) "Crime watch vehicle" means any motor vehicle used by any
person participating in a citizen crime watch or neighborhood
watch program when such program and use are approved in writing
by the appropriate sheriff or chief of police where the vehicle
will be used and the vehicle is assigned the use of frequencies
assigned to the county or city. Such approval shall be renewed
annually.

(3) This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur
radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications
Commission or to any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged
in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system
contractor certified pursuant to Part II of Chapter 489, Operating a
Central Monitoring System.

(4) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions
of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor of the second
degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
see that's why i want a bct-12, it's about 5 inches long, three inches wide, and 1/2 an inch deep (looking down on it), so i'm gonna clip it on my visor, and in the event of me being pulled over, i'll unclip the antenna and power cord, and throw it on the other side of that trunk throughway and flip it up and lock it, so if they open my trunk they will see a dead body, gun, empty shells, shovel, soil bags, grass seeds, and blood stains, ok, well maybe not that stuff, but they will see two big subwoofers, and they wont check behind those, and therefore they wont be able to find it.

i will check out your stuff though buddy.

~justin

1 - 20 of 32 Posts