Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres a little story of MY luck with my (once beautiful) baby. Few weeks ago, on my way home from work, around 11pm, im heading down US41 just after it drizzled then temps dropped to below freezing, passing over an overpass, a guy with a 2wd extended box pick up passes me, hits a spot of black ice, looses control of his back end, fish tails into the wall, bounces off the wall bashing into me sending me off the road, skipping forward through all the mumbo jumbo, this is what happend:

Then i went to the junkyard got me a new fender, still need a cornering lamp and a paint job i planned for the spring, life wasnt so bad anymore.....so i thought......

Then.....

Yeah.....coming TO work, the SAME thing that happend to the guy with the pickup truck happend to me today, but i never hit anyone,and scariest part was i had two semi's side by side RIGHT behind me as im doing 360's down the highway, watching my life flash before my eyes thinking for sure i wouldnt be here anymore today, well luckily the semi's were heavy enough to stop just in time to NOT cream me. But luckily the result wasnt as bad as i thought.

PLEASE TELL ME MY REAR IS FIXABLE!!!!
No frame damage from what i see, need new tail lamps, new little plastic square that goes under it, and some pounding of the body back in place.... I only have liability, which im now regretting.
I have a REALLY bad feeling this is going to be expensive as hell. :( Im a man that just wants to cry right now.....:cry:

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
If that is all going to be fixed with OEM new parts, you will be running up a bill close to the value of a write off unfortunately. Parts, paint and labor will be a couple grand from the looks of the damage. Hopefully you get everything fixed. :(

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The front fender was from someone un-insured, so that part i had to take care of myself, mainly cause i dont have the time to get a lawyer and take this to court so whatever, the fender cost me 60 bucks from the boneyard, thats all taken care of for the moment. As for the back end, that was all done by myself in a freak out my rear-end had and if you read above i had just liability soooo this one is all on me too, FML. Im not rushing to get it fixed, mostly cause funds will need to start being saved. But i have a local indie saab shop here, i know the owner very well and we are going to negotiate sometime this weekend/next week on an estimate to just shape things back to normal on the rear and give the whole car a paint over. Shouldnt rack up anymore than around 1500 which still sucks total asshole but its got to get done! Ill keep this updated.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can be done, you'll just need to re-skin that rear quarter corner by cutting it out and patching in a donor and straighten out that hatch corner.
i dont think it needs to be done that dramaticaly...

that sucks. i thought people out there knew how to drive in the snow.
You'd think so :rolleyes:
Someone has to say it....that'll buff out. Seriously though, that's plenty fixable. Good to hear only the car got hurt
Hope so, and thanks.
If that is all going to be fixed with OEM new parts, you will be running up a bill close to the value of a write off unfortunately. Parts, paint and labor will be a couple grand from the looks of the damage. Hopefully you get everything fixed. :(
thanks christian. i plan to pull as many parts as i can from the junkyard to cheapen things, im planning to just worry about getting things reshaped on the rear damage and get some new paint slapped on, ill take care of the rest.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
the creases in the rear quarter will not come out. you can beat them and bondo them and it'll look like shit, but the only way to fix it right is to reskin it

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
As others said your going to need to cut out the old part thats messed up and weld in the new piece from a donor car, i see this ending up costing at least a grand, but anyway good luck with the repair and stay positive:p

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the creases in the rear quarter will not come out. you can beat them and bondo them and it'll look like shit, but the only way to fix it right is to reskin it
As others said your going to need to cut out the old part thats messed up and weld in the new piece from a donor car, i see this ending up costing at least a grand, but anyway good luck with the repair and stay positive:p
damn.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would just replace the plastic body panel below the tail light and the tail lights at this point if cash is tight and it wont look terrible. Then save up some cash to get the wok done right in the summer after your done hitting stuff in the snow for the year.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The damage is fixable and will look ok when done. Any body shop worth it's salt can have that fixxed easy. A good place for used parts in WI is Stradbergs Auto in Centuria WI 800-448-5121. I use them all the time if I don't have it my yard. Ask for John or Kevin.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That rear quarter definitely does not need to be re-skinned. I had the exact type of damage on a 1997 900s I had about 4 years ago (I can post pictures if you'd like). I did what Castor Troy said, pounding out the damage and using filler to make everything straight. As long as you gently pound damage out (the right tools help) and make sure you don't bring it out too far, it won't look like crap at all. If you can do that, and feel confident that you have the eye to block sand filler straight, you can easily fix the damage. It might not look exactly 100%, but for the $100 in supplies, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, throw another tail light and filler panel on it and you have a nice beater for the next few years.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would agree that there needs to be some parts replaced. The section where the filler bolts in and the edge looks like its mangled pretty good. If your having someone do it, it will likely cost as much in labor to have it beaten out than to have a new section put in.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If your feeling ambitious you could get a hammer and dolly set from harbor freight and see what you can do. Might be able to get it in shape enough to fit the light and filler panel.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
save up some cash to get the wok done right in the summer after your done hitting stuff in the snow for the year.
thanks ass*
The damage is fixable and will look ok when done. Any body shop worth it's salt can have that fixxed easy. A good place for used parts in WI is Stradbergs Auto in Centuria WI 800-448-5121. I use them all the time if I don't have it my yard. Ask for John or Kevin.
Thank you for the info, ill check them out for sure.
That rear quarter definitely does not need to be re-skinned. I had the exact type of damage on a 1997 900s I had about 4 years ago (I can post pictures if you'd like). I did what Castor Troy said, pounding out the damage and using filler to make everything straight. As long as you gently pound damage out (the right tools help) and make sure you don't bring it out too far, it won't look like crap at all. If you can do that, and feel confident that you have the eye to block sand filler straight, you can easily fix the damage. It might not look exactly 100%, but for the $100 in supplies, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, throw another tail light and filler panel on it and you have a nice beater for the next few years.
When it warms up a little bit, ill clean it up and get a better look at what id have to deal with, lately its been no warmer than 10 degrees and i dont care to be outside....at all.

You know what? In all honesty, snowsaab, the absolutely best thing that it looks like you can do is just stay home, or at least not drive the Saab until the weather clears up.
thanks ass #2*

in all seriousness, ive NEVER had issues EVER in the winter, in fact when i learned how to drive it was during the winter. this is all just a case of bad luck this time around. the rear damage i blame on myself for not replacing my bald ass tires on the rear before winter got here, and winnebago county's really half ass plowing. Highway 41 is the deadliest highway in WI averaging a dozen deaths a year and over a hundred accidents, and now i have to use it to get to work 30 miles round trip. but right now im trying new routes, avoiding the highway all together to get to work during the winter months, so far i use 7 miles of the highway, the rest is used on a safer back road, adds 4 mins extra driving time, but its worth it.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Sorry bout the damage dude, fix what you can and put on some real tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts