Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two problems that am unable to solve on my 1989 SPG. Brand new battery gets discharged installed in the car when left to sit for few days. Test light shows no parasitic load.
When going reverse from my driveway and I start to turn there is big "klink" noise from suspention. I changed the ball joints, all bushings look fine and brake calipers have no play what so ever. I found this problem to be present in many classic 900 saabs. Is this coils spring rebounding or what?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I know on any car in general low speed turns that make that sound are from worn outer CV joints.

Is it at all possible the alternator is bad?

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
I work on classic saabs all the time and many of them have this problem.
I'm a Saab noob, only had 6 c900s!

Don't take my initial comment as a poke at you. I was trying to say that it is a strange issue that I have yet to see. Now the battery issue... There obviously is something either using the battery, the battery is faulty or it is not being charged. Power doesn't just disappear without parasitic usage.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Is your alternator charging properly? It could be that you're losing power while the car is running. I (briefly) owned an '89 SPG that did the same thing, ran for a few days until the battery died, and it turned out that the ground wire to the alternator had been cut.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
I know Raul understands the entire electrical system in the c900, he is not looking for simpleton answers. It is difficult to narrow it down over the intarwebs, but you need to find the source of the decharge, plain and simple.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The klink you are hearing might be the brake pads. I've seen many aftermarket pads where the clips holding the pads into the caliper are weak and the change of direction will cause a klinking noise.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
The klunk in reverse while turning is a shift in the hub/bearing, the bearing shifts within it's space, and it's completely harmless. SAAB put out more than one techincal service bulletin about it, when you install a new bearing, you are supposed to put either loctite or anti-seize on the outside.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The bulb in the battery warning light on the dash is an integral part of the charging system. Does it light for a couple seconds when you start the car? If not, that may be your problem.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Also, I'm not sure how the alternator sits in a c900 engine (if there's a bracket, etc.), but I did once have a chronic issue along these lines with a bad alternator bracket on an old VW. The alternator wobbled just enough so that the belt slipped (and would occasionally slip off, yay!). Basically, I had to rev the engine right after starting, otherwise it wouldn't charge properly and, five miles down the road, everything would start shutting off - radio, dash lights - somewhat like those UFO encounters.

Srsly.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Once had an issue with a faulty headlight switch that drained the battery... As for the clunk... A wheel bearing maybe?

·
7,595 Posts
Hook an amp meter between to the battery & ground when it's sitting, see if it's drawing power. Open and close doors and trunk, see if the reading stays the same. You will probably find a draw of maybe a few milliamps. Start pulling fuses and you will probably fund the sub-system that is draining power. If it's not drawing power sitting, then some other component is shot. Occasionally I have seen the alternator to starter wire fail, which will cause the car to start & continue running, the car will have power & no charge light but the battery will discharge as you drive around.

·
7,595 Posts
as for the clunk, could be many things. bring the car up on a lift and do the general suspension checks. Sometimes the steering rack bolts loosen up and cause that clunk you are describing. sometimes it's the A-arm bushings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The klunk in reverse while turning is a shift in the hub/bearing, the bearing shifts within it's space, and it's completely harmless. SAAB put out more than one techincal service bulletin about it, when you install a new bearing, you are supposed to put either loctite or anti-seize on the outside.
You got it, thanks man, I ran out of options thats why I tought it was spring making that noise somehow. Here in AZ we don't have snow so the wheel bearing seat will not rust so that bearing will have nice clean surface to slide. This is why I noticed this noise in many classic saabs, and yes it is a common issue.

Saabeh good for you then but I know that am not the only one with that issue and Jack Straw proved it. Moonracer am getting noise without aplying the brakes so brake system have nothing to do with the noise.

mr_saab79, you may be right, the 1989 had an bulletin about foulty headlight system, and it had to be fixed and mod plate on the right inner fender had to be marked with number 3. My SPG has number 3 there which means that it has been done, but sense then I've changed and removed all wires that looked out of place, I've seen someone has monkeyd with headlight system, so I soldered as it suposed to be. But am not getting any parasitic load.

Hook an amp meter between to the battery & ground when it's sitting, see if it's drawing power. Open and close doors and trunk, see if the reading stays the same. You will probably find a draw of maybe a few milliamps. Start pulling fuses and you will probably fund the sub-system that is draining power. If it's not drawing power sitting, then some other component is shot. Occasionally I have seen the alternator to starter wire fail, which will cause the car to start & continue running, the car will have power & no charge light but the battery will discharge as you drive around.
I did this, it is called parasitic load test. I got volt guage in my SPG and alternator is charging 14V, I don't even have 2K miles on this engine, alt bushing are new, voltage regulator is new, ground wire is new and there is nothing wrong with alternator am not that stupid am not american.

What does alternator has to do if I buy brand new battery, install it and never start the car and it is drained within 3 days, there is something draining the battery in a very very SMALL amount that I can't see.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I did this, it is called parasitic load test. I got volt guage in my SPG and alternator is charging 14V, I don't even have 2K miles on this engine, alt bushing are new, voltage regulator is new, ground wire is new and there is nothing wrong with alternator am not that stupid am not american.
Where is my bag of doritos, I need to get comfy.
***passes Tweek a beer, digs into popcorn bowl***

1 - 20 of 43 Posts