Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to pick a turbo?? What to pick for high gains in hp?? Anyone have experince with Swedish dynamics or Group 9 turbos?? Don't really want to mess around with picking one?? Wanted to wait until spring when new engine was built. Seals went bad on turbo and I want to replace so I can drive it for a few weeks before winter comes.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
what HP do you want to see? how much do you want to spend. Do you want ballbearing turbo? Were do you want to start seeing full boost? Do you mind a little lag to get more top end or do you want more low end and not as much topend? If your putting it on the c900 i would not go to big.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well a big consideration with a c900 turbo wise is how long the tranny will last with a given setup. Low rpm tourque is fun but it kills trannys fast, what you want is a turbo that spools a bit slower and comes on smoothly. Delorean and I may have found a reasonably priced soulution in the TD04HL15g from the volvo 850 turbos. The nice thing about this turbo is that it is basically the same as the TD04 that is on the 9000aeros except that it has a slightly larger turbine housing (aero=6cm2, volvo=7cm2) this will allow more boost at high rpms at the expense of spoolup. A nice side effect of this turbo is that it uses a standard T3 bolt pattern, so it basically bolts right up to the c900 manifold, all you need is a simple little plate to make the transition a bit smoother.

But we havent actually tried this setup yet, so as of now its just a really good theory.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
Yep exactly. you also need to re-thread the bolt holes on the Volvo turbo exhaust flange to fit the size bolt that you will need on a C-900 manifold. custom oil inlet, outlet and water in / outlet lines are also needed but that's just details and is easy to get set up. water cooling hoses can use any small radiator hose from pep boys, oil inlet and outlet you want to use steel braded lines to. so yes with the small plate Paul (hopefully) can get made, it will be a bolt on job.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbos??

Kindve been away from the link for awhile but.....I've been through 3 trannys already with the stock T3. Most of the time I have a manual boost control in with it set at 15 PSI....the group 9 apc box i have runs boost at 21..... which is really pushing a stock T3..... The car dyno'd at 195.8 HP and 224.6 ft lbs....That was before all the fuel upgrades...Injectors, RRFPR......I want a fast spooling turbo but something that will make the car pull much harder in 3rd 4th and 5th........??? Is a T3/T4 ideal or sould i do somthing else....Swedish dynamics sounds pretty good....Red series that is?? What do you guys think??

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well, IMHO the red series turbo is horribly overpriced, anywhere else those t3/t4s go for like $400 maybe $500 tops, not like $750 or whatever they want. and dont let em tell ya that theres anything different in the red series than a standard t3/t4 cause there just isnt.

As for the t3/t4 in general, heres my take on it: essentially the T series garret turbos are 70's technology, pretty lame, works ok, cheap, and effective, but not the best way to do it by any means. If you go for the mitsu turbos, its more like an early 90's design wich is much better than the T series garrets, mostly when it comes to the internal wastegates witch apparently are a big restriction. The best possible scenario of course would be a GT series garret of some sort ive heard good things about the GT28R's but the thing with those is they get expensive.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
PaulH,

You' re right, but there is plenty of combinaison (trim/ compressor) possible for a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, prices depends of the choice... Mitsu turbos have a more modern design but would be ineffective for really high power (except the GT series but they are overpriced too). It's comon to see classic 900 with a T3/T4 dynoed at more than 250 HP with just 1.1bar of boost pressure! T3/T4 perform very well but they are not good for tranies...
Try to optain more than 250 hp with a tE05 16G or even 18G you 'll need plenty of others mods (not sure it is less expensive).

Classic 900 turbo aero:

2.3 head cylinder
2.1 intake manifold
Sport smic air to air intercooler
aquamist water injection
T3/T4 hybrid turbo trim 50L with 360 trust bearings
modified air box with K&N airfilter
2.5 complete stainles exaust system
Forge dump valve
forge wastegate
30LB/h injectors
3.3 fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
GT turbo's are definantly NOT overpriced, they are by far the most advanced turbo's on the market! The GT28r can be purchased for about the same price as swedish dynamics/group9 sells the T3/4 turbo's for. However the only bad thing I have heard about the GT28r is that is spools up so quick that it causes traction probelms which leads to driveability as well as trans life issues. I think possibly the GT28rs, GT2871r or larger are a better choice however the price gets to over $1000. You get more lag however that means less low end torque & easier to drive.

I use the GT3071r on my SPG & last week at 14 PSI it dynoed a little over 300 whp at 14 PSI. The dyno dynamics dyno's calculate #'s differently then dynojets so add 30% to get crank HP.

It really depends on the HP you want. Most people would be more then happy using a T3/4 with a large FMIC & 3 in complete exh. However the larger Mitsu's are a better design & will offer less lag & still have good top end power.

Like someone stated, T3/4's can be purchased from numeorus turbo shop for $500 or less

GT turbo's cost about $800 for the 28r & $1000-1300 for the larger 28 series turbo's. Depending on the model you will also have to make a mounting plate turbo--> manifold as well as new oil/coolant lines as well as downpipe. LTS more work but LOTS more power to be had :).

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I think the reason for most people using the T3/T4's the fact that the C900's are so inexpensive that it is hard to justify adding a $900 turbo to it when you can get (al be it an older design) a rebuilt T3/T4 for $400 that with the right trim will net 300HP on the car. If you really want to start making lots of power you will end up putting a great deal of money into the car and lets face it the C900 tranny will not hold up for long when coupled to 300+HP. The next alternative is to add the $4000 tranny that is chillcast so then you can handle all the power and for that you could have bought 4 C900's complete and running. The newer turbo's ( Mitsu TD04 -015) in the 9-3 Aero's and Viggen's is another good choice to go with as they are easily brought up to 300HP without being too overworked and being they are already mounted to a SAAB manifold you retain all the flanging necessary (IIRC). At any rate you will need an FMIC, 3.0BAR FPR, 3" Exhaust and Downpipe, Injectors and a good modified APC to start with.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
I think the reason for most people using the T3/T4's the fact that the C900's are so inexpensive that it is hard to justify adding a $900 turbo to it when you can get (al be it an older design) a rebuilt T3/T4 for $400 that with the right trim will net 300HP on the car. If you really want to start making lots of power you will end up putting a great deal of money into the car and lets face it the C900 tranny will not hold up for long when coupled to 300+HP. The next alternative is to add the $4000 tranny that is chillcast so then you can handle all the power and for that you could have bought 4 C900's complete and running. The newer turbo's ( Mitsu TD04 -015) in the 9-3 Aero's and Viggen's is another good choice to go with as they are easily brought up to 300HP without being too overworked and being they are already mounted to a SAAB manifold you retain all the flanging necessary (IIRC). At any rate you will need an FMIC, 3.0BAR FPR, 3" Exhaust and Downpipe, Injectors and a good modified APC to start with.
well thats actually the solution that myself and a few others are going to be trying. as it turns out the TD04 that was fitted to the volvo 850's has a different (larger) exhaust housing (7cm2 for the volvo vs. 5cm2 or 6cm2 for saab) wich also convieniently uses the standard t3 style flange that the c900's and early 9k's used. the theory so far is that this turbo will sacrifice a little bit of spool up for a more gradual torque hit wich as we all know is what kills the c900 trannys. the other nice part about these turbos is that they can be had cheap used, the 15g's typically go for like 100-150 on ebay while the larger and better 16t's go for like 200 on ebay. i managed to score a 15g at a junkyard for $40 8) .

the main reason why i decided to go the td04 route is because i think i realized at least partially why saab switched to the mitsu turbo on the later c900t's. If you ever drive a c900 with the old T3 vs. the TE05 youll immediately realize that with the te05 you dont get that giant torque rush when the boost comes on, wich will ultimately prolong tranny life.

but like i said, just a theory so far, but i'll be sure to keep everyone posted when things get rolling.

Paul

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
My 86 C900 T16 pulls hard all the way up to redline in every gear and it has a T3 in it. If I keep it I am going to investigate a the use of a 20G or an 18G Mitsu turbo.I know the spool up will ne slower but the end result will be alot more top end power and torque. I have also looked at the Garrett line for some of the GTR28's and such but a little too pricey to put in my $1200 car.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
My 86 C900 T16 pulls hard all the way up to redline in every gear and it has a T3 in it. If I keep it I am going to investigate a the use of a 20G or an 18G Mitsu turbo.I know the spool up will ne slower but the end result will be alot more top end power and torque. I have also looked at the Garrett line for some of the GTR28's and such but a little too pricey to put in my $1200 car.
yup thats the way to go, with that volvo turbo i belive that all the way up to 19t is a direct bolt on affair, its just a matter of finding somewhere that has the stupid things for less than an arm and a leg :roll: .

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts