Saab Link Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I may be picking up another notchback later this week. I have a turbo 16v drive-train in my yard, and a basement full of T5 parts.

Who's ready for round 2!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yesssssss!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Figured its been awhile, so its probably time for an update, The car is now a running driving turbo T5 notchback, however i fear my donar drivetrain may have not been as good as i thought it was. (gearbox shifts worse than normal, Engine is very noisy/possible rodknock) So keeping that in mind, and knowing that it is still a moving car, i am trying to progress forward on other parts of the puzzle while figuring out the best way to overcome the powertrain hurtle.

Last project taken on this car, is installing 9-5 Ventilated Aero seats into said notchback. they fit well, however i used the cars original front rail as a mounting location. I find that myself (at 5ft 10in tall) has the seats fully back to become comfortable. i suspect if i was to do this again, I Would mount the seats further back.

And yes, the Ventilation fans are hooked up, and functional

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sweeeeet.

Post pics of the overall car! That teaser shot from June has me wanting more!!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
New years update for the C900 peeps still out there

I put the Notchy up on the dyno and made good numbers, the mustang numbers were 225 whp. and 261 wtq. the dyno owner said when it was tested for calibration a year ago, he was able to get the correction factor for the average dynojet, These numbers are listed as WCF in the picture.

As a comparison, i have run a few bone stock c900 turbos on this same dyno, all were between 108. and 125whp

Me being critical of my dyno sheet; the fan that provide airflow over the intercooler was not operating. and it shows, during the pull the car was consistently gaining 20c of intake air temps. This does not happen when driving on the street. and probably would have effected torque on the upper end of the graph.

The car also got a 3 inch exhaust installed earlier this year, with ATP ultimate wastegate. This adapter makes the downpipe cake to make, and is well worth it. However be warned you will need to pull the 5 exhaust studs from the turbo, and run longer ones to install.

Lastly, a good friend and i made a tube bumper for the front of the car, Looks great, and gives some extra airflow to the front

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
That's nice Mike, definitely looking forward to getting my 85 dialed in with you this spring!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
So a few updates, First off, i mended a few more things, and got it back on the dyno for a retune, Power went up to 244whp. Car is still silly.

Also, i am working on converting it to an Ng900 instrument cluster, i think the recipe is pretty nailed down, just have to install and debug,

Some compatibility notes; saab ng900 T5 speedos look for 29 teeth per wheel revolution, and a square wave hall effect signal. T7 saabs use canbus for the dash, and will not be compatible with t5, 9000's use an awkward pulse per rev count, and i could not find a tone wheel that Maths out correctly. The sensor linked below should output the correct signal

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/hall-effect-crankshaft-position-sensor/

As far as the tone wheel goes, i used the rear wheel tone wheel from a 97-01 Hyundai Tiberon, it took some lathe work to make fit. In hindsight i am 98% percent sure a 9-5 front axle tone wheel will press onto the rear wheel hub of an 88+ c900. Part number for 9-5 front tone wheel is SAAB 12822141

Sensor should be in this week, hopefully i can get things all mounted up and tested!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Also, i am working on converting it to an Ng900 instrument cluster, i think the recipe is pretty nailed down, just have to install and debug,
!
Cool! If anybody can make it work, you should be able to. Can you share what is the motivation to do this? And how do you plan on physically making the NG900 dash fit?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Cool! If anybody can make it work, you should be able to. Can you share what is the motivation to do this? And how do you plan on physically making the NG900 dash fit?
i havent crossed the hurtle with fitment, but at this point in time some brackets are the least of my worries.

In the last 2 months i have had to replace 3 speedo heads, 2 speedo cables, and 2 sets of plastic speedo drive gears in the transmission. I am really getting tired of dealing with this problem

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So i got it working, First note; clearance is tight between the brake disk and sensor. Second note; T5 "likes" a 0-8v square wave, and this sensor outputs a 0-12v square wave. i had to put around 2.5k ohms of resistors between the + wire, and source to get the voltage output down, but its up and working!

Here is what it looks like mounted with the brake disk off, Still need to run wires into the cockpit. should be ready to drive in a hour!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love the way classic 900 are living on with parts and tech from the newer cars. This makes me wish I had a second one, with an interior.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
So i need some TSL opinions

I have a friend in cali who runs pierce automotive , he has a c900 vert with a 9000 Non turbo intake coming out of the hood,

If i did it, know that i have a T5 head, with the one year only (1994) non turbo manifold, so i would pick up some real power in the process too, Big question is, do i want to cut my hood?

looks like this

pearce racing custom saab spg convertible by [email protected], on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
The vast majority of the power gains would be from the T5 head. Cool factor is there, but having to explain to everyone that its not a supercharger would be annoying. You should probably just modify an intake manifold to have the TB in the middle instead of the very end.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts