Saab Link Forums banner

Turbo, intercooler, header & megasquirt

14K views 164 replies 34 participants last post by  spgeebee88 
#1 ·
Hey all, thought I'd share a few pics of my upcoming mods. Check out my saabcentral project thread for the full infoz. Precision 350hp FMIC, t3/t4 hybrid, Chuck's ELH, and Paul's LH-MS adapter!

See less See more
#8 ·
Genuine Garrett, brand new not rebuilt:
T3/T04E Hybrid
.60 A/R compressor housing
57 Trim compressor wheel
.63 A/R turbine housing
Stage III turbine wheel

Extras I went for:
360* monster thrust bearing
step-gapped oil seals
metric water cooled CHRA

It's pretty cool because the turbine housing is the new TA31 style with a 4-bolt, external WG only (no port). This supposedly makes the exhaust flow much better out of the turbo and reduces turbulence.

#11 ·
Nice components! Looks like you have some fun installs to do with much pay off. Just that turbo alone...and intercooler...and header..and mega-squirt? Bet you can't wait untill installs start. show pics of the process

#12 ·
nice! you will absolutely love that turbo. basically the same as mine, though with external WG.

be aware though, if attempting to modify the stock air filter to turbo piping to fit (using an oversized grommet/adapter), you will more than likely end up with flywheel cover clearance issues (as i have now).

are you using a stock bypass valve, upgraded recirculating or atmospheric?

#13 ·
be aware though, if attempting to modify the stock air filter to turbo piping to fit (using an oversized grommet/adapter), you will more than likely end up with flywheel cover clearance issues (as i have now).
I already swapped it out with a custom intake pipe because my turbonetics is also a 3" intake.

are you using a stock bypass valve, upgraded recirculating or atmospheric?
HKS SSQV on the chargepipe.

#14 ·
heh, yeah, the OD of the turbo inlet is the same OD of the stock filter to turbo pipe. i have ended up with a piece of aluminum intake pipe off a Volvo inside the stock grommet to give me something to clamp the section of Dodge pickup intake grommet to. it's not purty but it works.

i would love to hear what you think of the turbo with the stock exhaust manifold, then again with the equal length header. i figure that is asking a bit much.

my turbo spools around 4k. i get boost below that but it doesn't really spool up until then. Palmer said that his turbo seems to spool a few hundred rpm sooner so i was curious about what the header might do for me.

IronJoe, you have everything together that i need or want to do to my car. intercooler, headers, MS. you will have fun!

#15 ·
i would love to hear what you think of the turbo with the stock exhaust manifold, then again with the equal length header. i figure that is asking a bit much.
Yeah... not gonna happen haha. The stock manifold is coming out today and it'll stay that way.

Got a link to the sc thread?

Looks like you got some nice stuff :)
Whoops, sorry I missed this before. Here's the thread, rather light reading at a mere 28 pages.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84713

I made a habit of editing the first post with the latest info, until we got locked out of editing too-old posts :( Now you gotta read the last couple of pages.

#18 ·
thanks adshaft. Per your request:

turbonetics is out.

test fitting the FMIC:

Problem with header (flange on backwards):

Drilled & tapped compressor housing:

I'll be slotting the top hole in the header today, and installing it. Then I'll bolt up the turbo in order to start welding up the DP.

#20 ·
Selling it as a package with the DP. To Amish, unless the DP doesn't clear the new header (he bought one too). If it doesn't, then it's back to first come first serve.

I'm going to check the clearance of the DP as soon as I slot the center hole in the header. At that point I'll be sure whether or not this will work with Amish's setup.

Feeler thread here:
http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23831

#29 ·
ironjoe, both your intake and exhaust housing appear to be far larger (especially exhaust side) than that on my T3/T4.

i thought i recalled you saying somewhere that the exhaust housing was .60? is that correct or .63 as mine is?

perhaps the configuration for EWG is creating an illusion, or perhaps i have been looking at the oil only T3 i have currently installed for too long...

maybe it is just the angle from which the picture was taken?

*shrug* mine clears the dizzy. it is close, but it clears.

#32 ·
i thought i recalled you saying somewhere that the exhaust housing was .60? is that correct or .63 as mine is?
It's a .63. But remember, this is the new TA31-style housing, which may look different than yours. Could be throwing you off.

So wheres the ewg going to dump? Downpipe or straight down/out?
Atmosphere :D

Probably won't have to worry about any condensation in the dist cap hanging around for long!
Actually quinn, if all goes well, pretty soon I won't have to worry about a distributor at all :p

#37 ·
i was quite sure that my exhaust side was listed as TO4E. i am thinking the difference has to do with internal vs. external WG setup, but that should not account for an overall sizing difference. i will take measurements of mine as soon as i finish dinner.

my compressor housing is AiResearch, i see that yours is Garrett. compressor inlets are both 3" and outlets are both 2". looking at the two pics side by side, my inlet looks to be a bit longer, the outlet on mine looks to be 'stepped up' to 2", whereas yours seems to be 'stepped down'.

i, umm, well, polished mine, with a popsicle stick - the interior part that is impossible to reach with a finger. not like i would ever notice a difference with my seat-of-the-pants dyno.

#38 ·
Ironjoe, do yourself a favor and stick with the stock water and oil lines. stick with stock, that is, if you think you might ever need to remove and reinstall your turbo.

the only other thing i have to say is (sounding aggravated and pissed off) GDI!MOFOJFCBITCHASSPRICKFACEFUQTARDSHITCANGOTOHELL and i almost want to go back to a stock turbo. 20 minutes tops to get the T3 out. almost an hour later and my turbo is loosely hung with the oil outlet firmly bolted up.

#39 ·
Ironjoe, do yourself a favor and stick with the stock water and oil lines. stick with stock, that is, if you think you might ever need to remove and reinstall your turbo.
My oil lines will be stock, my water lines are custom (as my '87 was born oilcooled only)
the only other thing i have to say is (sounding aggravated and pissed off) GDI!MOFOJFCBITCHASSPRICKFACEFUQTARDSHITCANGOTOHELL and i almost want to go back to a stock turbo. 20 minutes tops to get the T3 out. almost an hour later and my turbo is loosely hung with the oil outlet firmly bolted up.
What?

#41 ·
well... my water line connectors are in the way of everything, it would seem. i posted last after wrestling with my turbo for far too long to be just it partially connected.

if i was to use straight connections on the turbo, i could easily remove them for turbo installation or removal. straight connectors would have put the water inlet hose tight up against the head and the water outlet hose would be hanging rather close to the cooling fan.

i used a 45 degree connector on the water inlet, which neatly placed the steel braided line between the head and the exhaust manifold (it has near 2" of clearance on the manifold once connected). it would not have been tight, it otherwise would have against the distributor. the water outlet 90 degree fitting puts that steel braided hose straight down, allowing me to easily run it under the transmission mount and connecting it to the lower radiator hose using a barb fitting.

i was not able to install either the 45 degree nor the 90 degree fitting with the turbo fully assembled. i had to remove the compressor housing backing plate in order to thread either of them in, requiring near complete turbo disassembly.

oh, and before i forget, my exhaust housing is marked a definite .63... but i see nothing about it being a TO4B or TO4E. it measures approximately 5 inches across the circle (not counting the flange, nor the big lump you can see in the first pic Ironjoe posted a few replies above).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.