Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a drive tonight to test my new intercooler hoses and when I got back, I left the car on and opened the hood to check if everything was ok, only to find the stock turbocharger glowing hot as hell.
Is this normal? Is the turbo on its way out due to it not being cooled enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
how high were you boosting? what tune do you have? that sounds like excessive EGTs to me... IE you where boosting too high too long hence the Exhaust Gas Temperatures were through the roof and no it should never be red orange or yellow

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
he indicated yellow not red and it was yellow after sitting. i run my turbos hard all the time and they never are yellow after running hard and allowing for a cool down

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
he indicated yellow not red and it was yellow after sitting. i run my turbos hard all the time and they never are yellow after running hard and allowing for a cool down
Then you do not run them hard enough... lol

My 9000's have always been very red to yellow at times if I get on them and quickly get out and check. Good place to do this is Hawk MT. - go balls out from the bottom and by time you get to the top, pull over and pop the hood. It's going to be VERY red :D

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
15+yrs ago when I purchased my first SPG many times I would go out & beat on the car then pop the hood at night..... always glowing & not a problem.

Turbo's use heat to work so it's all good.

Popping the hood after a drivers school session you can sometimes see the color change..... during the day

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I was running it very hard and then parked and left the car on for the turbo to cool off and it took about 3 minutes for it to stop glowing. It was yellow as hell and it was lighting up the engine bay like a flashlight.
The car is completely stock by the way.
I just thought it was weird because my old Volvo 850 T5 even on 17psi never did this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts