Saab Link Forums banner

Turbo gauge stuck in red

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  BluAero 
#1 ·
I've just replaced the alternator, taking it out through the top. When I put everything back together the turbo gauge stopped working. Now every time the car is running the needle goes all the way into the red and stays there until the engine is off. Turbo itself is functioning properly. I've checked all the vacuum hoses and fuses.

I also a rough idle and poor fuel mileage. After a 40-mile freeway test fuel economy about 7 mpg worse. I got the codes from the computer and it's throwing a P0108 and a P0125. The best I can figure I might have too problems going on. 1. P0108 is a MAP sensor malfunction. 2. It could be my car is not heating up properly as the P0125 might be indicating that the thermostat is stuck open and the engine is not warming up and it keeps running in an open loop.

Would the failure of the MAP sensor be the reason for the turbo gauge, idling and fuel economy issues?

#6 ·
Map

mine wasn't working correctly..I cleaned it Very Carefully with brake cleaner..then..wiped it carefully with a lint free cloth..even a tiny bit of dirt or carbon can mess it up..it dosen't take much to break the very tiny filament that makes it work..I wouldn't be surprised if a pot hole impact would weaken it.

#8 ·
@zymmer4 are you thinking of a MASS sensor? the MAP sensor seems to be a completely sealed component that would require breaking to take apart.

@srp THANK YOU!! you prompted me to exam what I already had in a cursory fashion. close examination revealed that when I had re-installed the replacement MAP sensor two of the wires in the wire connector had gotten pulled down a little from the connector, so that those wires metal clips were not attaching to the sensor properly. problem solved!!

#10 ·
Interesting post as I seem to have similar problems. It leads me to believe that a new map sensor may solve my bucking/stalling/turbo gauge stuck in red problem.

Its odd because my car runs/drives fine yet sometimes the stock turbo gauge will get stuck in the red when I'm just cruising. When this happens I can jiggle the accelerator and usually it turns back to normal. This usually happens when the car is warm

On rare occasions the car will sputter and stall out when I first try to start the car. Same thing happens with the turbo gauge- it stays stuck in the red and won't want to start. If I let the car sit or rev it while starting, it will act normal again.

My car is tuned and the map sensor wires were spliced. I made sure to clean out the connections and reconnect them after putting some di electric grease where the wires connect.

So it leads me to believe that I need a new map sensor. If the wires going from the wiring harness to the map sensor are hooked up improperly, what would happen?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

#11 ·
I don't know how the tuning would affect your issues, but I can tell you that the turbo gauge problem, trouble starting, rough idle (especially when cold), and loss of fuel economy could all be attributed to a bad MAP sensor (or poor connection).

MAP sensors are pretty cheap if you get a used one, and are really quick to change out. probably worth changing that as the next step to figuring out your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.