Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the TD04 15T today, didn't take long at all. But I can say that it really helps not having an AC condenser in the way when doing a turbo swap, that's for sure, it would have been much harder had I not removed the AC system a few weeks ago.

I also decided to hack the stock filter-turbo tube up and replace much of it with 2.75" straight tubing and silicone couplers...I doubt it will help anything, but I think it might match the rest of the tubing a bit better.

Anyway, I have not driven it yet, because I am waiting for my epoxy to harden up on the BOV bung; I epoxied it to the upper intake tube along with a bung for the AITC.

Also, it seems that the old T25 was blowing quite a bit of oil out if it into the intake stream :-? Oh well.

Lastly, it seems that I will be changing the PCV system a tad, since the PCV/TB coolant hose broke apart in my hands wen I removed it...oops :lol:

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
cool!

seeing your engine bay makes me think of mine... when i was at the shop a couple of days ago i was like wtf did you do with my BPC valve?? in responce i got "whats a BPC valve??"

UGH! hahaha gotta keep these people on track... lol

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I would've just gotten rid of that crank breather dumping into the intake and ran a catch tank. My guess is thats where a good portion of the oil in the intake came from.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you mean with all your skills you didnt weld up a 2.5 or 3 inch delivery pipe???
I still don't have a tig welder (and at around $2000+ for a good one I didn't feel like dropping that sort of cash), plus, it's two 90 degree bends and a silicone coupler, I don't even know why I'd mess with welding one up :-?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would've just gotten rid of that crank breather dumping into the intake and ran a catch tank. My guess is thats where a good portion of the oil in the intake came from.
I think I will rig up a catch can....but until I find a proper one I'll probably run to home depot and find some rubber tubing to vent down and out of sight ;)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yea, every time I worked on my turbo I always removed the belt and unbolt the AC compressor. Makes it easier getting to those turbo lines and manifold studs. You can bring that compressor right up top if you cut off the little "titty" on the AC bracket.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I think I will rig up a catch can....but until I find a proper one I'll probably run to home depot and find some rubber tubing to vent down and out of sight ;)
I'll get some pictures of mine for you when I get it in the car (sometime next week or early the week after).

Also, if you get rid of the breather hose there, you can also ditch the coolant line that runs along that area with it (kind of a pcv heater) and connects to the tb.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, if you get rid of the breather hose there, you can also ditch the coolant line that runs along that area with it (kind of a pcv heater) and connects to the tb.
I gutted the PCV rubber hose that goes around that PCV coolant hose-heater thing....and I was going to ditch that, but I didn't know if I could just block that passage, or exactly where to divert the coolant flwo to, so I just left it in place for now.

I'd like to see photos of how you have yours set up, with the catch can and the blocked off coolant passages and stuff, that would be nice.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
That oil to the turbo inlet is normal from the PCV system - I always say it's just helping keep the turbo lubricated - as well as my K&N filter :) A small puddle I learned is normal.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, its bound to be a bit oily, its the nature of the beast.

Also, I test drove it! WOOO.....BLAMO (I forgot the tighten the BPV back into place, and it blew out at 15 psi)

Once I got the BPV tightened I found out that the BPC valve on my car is stuck open :-? I'll see if I can resurect it, but for now I'm at base boost until I can get a MBC plumbed into place.

Up until fuel cut the car is a great, I'll take it easy and probably run around 15 psi or below until I'm sure that everything is good to go, then I think I'll be ordering myself a new ECU.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the car out to run some errands, and got the MBC tuned to roughly where I want it. The car spikes to around 17 psi and then settles back down to around 15...at least this is what happens in 2nd, I didn't have the chance to wind out 3rd yet.

From what I can tell the car is definitely more ballsy...the TD04 coupled with the bigger intake tubing certainly makes it a bit laggier, but that's compared to the t25 that spooled so fast that even part throttle acceleration was sometimes hard to control. I like the slight bit of lag that the TD04 provides, and I would even feel comfortable with a bot more lag (which the big FMIC will probably provide).

As of right now my BPV sounds like a duck getting run over, so I need to start looking for something a little better :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts