Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So there is a story...

I work at an auto parts store. a few days ago a nice man came into this auto parts store and was asking who owned the white Saab in the parking lot. I told him it was mine and he quickly asked me if I wanted another one. (I get this a lot because of the tremendous lack of Saab knowledge in my area). I ask him what he has and he tells me that it is just like mine except it is red. That grabbed my attention since red was the color I originally wanted when purchasing mine several years ago, but I could never find a decent red one. I ask how much he wanted for it and he replied $500. It supposedly ran when parked but had set in his garage for over a year. I agree to go look at the car and upon inspecting it further I come to find out that it is in fact an unmarked 1991 "aero package". There was a couple rust spots in the usual places but overall it looked solid enough to make a daily driver out of. It had almost brand new pirelli P6 tires and reciepts for a timing chain job and a new clutch and newer trans. The interior is in pretty decent shape with the exception of the headliner and a little wear on the drivers seat (no rips). Almost all of the accessories or broken bits i have replacements in my shed. He has the battery charger hooked up to it and I try to start it. It cranks great but wont fire. he says it ran when he parked it there a year ago, so I immediately assume either bad gas or a fuel pump relay. Either way he looked disappointed and said to give him some time and h would contact me after he gets it fixed. I ask if he will take $350 as it sets and long story short, it is now sitting in my garage.

Pics....

I polished a spot on the hood to show just how good the paint really is under all the oxidization...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mike...

I worked on it most of today and figured out that the fuel pump is good and so are the relays. I tried swapping to my spare DI and put in new ngk plugs. Still nothing. I add a couple of gallons of better gas that I had in my garage and a partial bottle of seafoam. While doing this I see that there is no gas cap, so I replaced it with a spare I had sitting around, and bam, it fires right up. I try to rev it a little and it keeps stalling out. So I just let it idle a little while and then shut it back off. I go to the store and get an air filter (the one in it looked original) and maybe 45 min later go to start it again and nothing, just like before.

I have about 5 fuel pump relays and all of them work, but none of them will make the fuel pump kick on. (I pulled the fuel supply line off of the rail and nothing coming out. BUT>>> heres the kicker. If I jump the sockets where the relay goes the fuel pump will turn on... Wont start but it will start squirting fuel from the unbolted supply line. I hook it back up and leave it jumpered and it still wont start even though I can hear the fuel pump moving fuel.

I dont get it? What else can I check? Does this have something to do with the gas cap? Anyone have any ideas? I am really at a loss on what to check next.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i have a tally red that is getting parted in few months ... let me know if anything is needed. the damn thing is just falling apart lol... thankfully i have a platano grey 91 too.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I toyed with it a bit more and every now and then it will start but you can't really rev it. And each time it will run for about 30 seconds then it will just cut out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Are the tcs or abs lights on? Also it has a maf like the c900s right? I remember having an issue with my c900 where it would idle but I couldnt rev it at all; for me I had to clean the corrosion on the maf plug. Id start with that and get some specific maf cleaner as well

edit: your also a lucky sonabitch :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
check for vacuum leaks. when i picked my tally red 91 up it would stall out as soon as i hit the brakes to stop it. i had two vacuum leaks i found. check the DI. check all fluids. swap the different sensors out with your 92's sensors and see if it makes any difference. add dry gas and up the octane. trial and error. let us know what you come up with

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! I pulled the cel codes and it showed a #3 which I guess has something to do with the DI or something related to it. I am using my spare DI which works perfect on my 1992 and I just pur new ngk plugs in it.

My next step is to clean the maf and the maf plug and check for vacuum leaks. It just seems weird that the fuel pump will only come on every now and then or all the time when the relay is jumpered.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is nothing wrong with the pump or filter. The problem has more to do with something making the fuel pump turn on and off. Since I am showing a code 3 (which is supposed to be an issue with the DI or spark plugs) and the plugs are new and the di works fine. If it thinks it has a problem with ignition spark will it kill the fuel?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
x2 on the cps, but check out the wiring at the fuel pump relay. I've had more than one of that vintage 9k burn/melt harnesses
I looked at the wiring and everything looks fine, nothing is burnt or corroded. I believe I have an extra CPS I will have to shovel a path to my shed to try to find it.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Everything I can find points to the CPS. I couldn't find one in my shed so I have one coming.

Took some time yesterday to clean her up a little bit. Still have to do the other side, but here are a couple teasers for now:

Can't wait to get this thing on the road!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts