Saab Link Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
Havent seen a full resto on a c900 in a while.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The plastic grommets you're looking for are hard to find. I think they were $7+ each from SAAB, but when I was looking for a set a few years ago, it seemed they had been discontinued.

I can't find the receipt and can't remember the company's name, but I ordered a set of Toyota nylon grommets online and they are an exact match for the SAAB originals. Here is a link to a distributor:

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-bod...fit-toyota/retainers-av6916-kit-18-varieties/

You need 16 for the entire car and these come in sets of 25, so you should be fine. Pretty sure the square holes in the door are 7mm, which means you're looking for part 14268. Give them a call with the dims of the SAAB part and maybe they can narrow it down for you.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Daven, Thanks for that link! That looks promising.

I certainly hope I can remember! Most of it is pretty straight forward, but for the wiring and anything else that I was not sure I would remember, I've labeled what it is or where it goes for reassembly. Also used several boxes of ziploc bags to label and sort any small parts and hardware that would otherwise be lost on a big bin. I've also taken a bunch of reference pictures.

For example:

Here is a picture I took to remember the positions of the riveted clips on the firewall before I removed them and the padding:

And all of the yellow masking tape tags labeled what each plug is or where it goes:

I have tons of pictures on my photobucket that I'll use for reference later, but I havent posted here. Worst case, I'm sure if I get really stuck one of the OGs here might know where something goes if I can't place it.

The biggest hurdle I am running into is that I am also restoring my 1985 Chevy van to the same degree of detail at the same time as the Saab so space is becoming scarce considering that the van has 6 doors, a hood, spoiler, visor, 4 flares, chin spoiler, and tons of other various parts which have all been removed. I started storing some of the more fragile parts and upholstery in my basement, but the wife isn't super thrilled about that.

Here is a crappy picture of the van with the body parts all mocked up:

I'll be honest, the van is the priority project right now. I've determined that body work is not really my forte, but finding body guys who are good yet haven't lost their mind yet is becoming a challenge. I can do the welding/patches, but I can't get the filler straight to save my life.

Anyways. I'm hoping that I can get the van out for body work/paint very soon, and I'll work on the welding work on the Saab while the van is gone.

This weekend was not productive due to a funeral and a sick toddler, only got the firewall heat shield removed and the pad on the interior of the firewall removed. Nothign really picture worthy. Hopefully I'll get back in the swing of things this week.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Welcome to the reunion!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Hello! I must say, you have 2 of my favorite Saabs. Both are very nice!

Quick update on this build. Progress is going to be briefly paused as I'm getting the drift car ready for an exhibition event this weekend. They are calling for 60 deg weather on Sunday, but it's snowing now. We'll see how that goes...

After that, I need to scramble to get my van ready to go to my body guy before the end of the month to get prepped for paint. While it's gone, I'll get back to work on the c900.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Bump for some excuses and slow progress ;)

The guy who I was hoping could tackle all of the welding and body work (after he finished my van) ended up taking over 8 months to do what should have only taken 1-2.. Needless to say, I'm looking for a different body guy but anyone competent around here that isn't an expensive shop doesn't want to mess with it. I have a couple of solid leads, but it's a waiting game to get in.

Currently waiting it out till after winter and still gathering some parts for this thing. Finishing up a couple other projects in the meantime. I've been on this forum long enough. Everyone knows anything I do takes for-god-awful-ever lol.

I still check in here almost every day though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
much cheaper and smarter to just buy C900 from dry states and swap everything over. Even if you are able to fix all the rust eaten away spots, it will still be a hack job

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Bump for some excuses and slow progress ;)

The guy who I was hoping could tackle all of the welding and body work (after he finished my van) ended up taking over 8 months to do what should have only taken 1-2.. Needless to say, I'm looking for a different body guy but anyone competent around here that isn't an expensive shop doesn't want to mess with it. I have a couple of solid leads, but it's a waiting game to get in.

Currently waiting it out till after winter and still gathering some parts for this thing. Finishing up a couple other projects in the meantime. I've been on this forum long enough. Everyone knows anything I do takes for-god-awful-ever lol.

I still check in here almost every day though.
:D I certainly can't say anything about that, it took me five months to do head gaskets on my 4Runner.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, hope you can find someone.

BTW, are there details on the van somewhere?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Raul. It will only be a hack job if it's not done correctly. You are lucky enough to live in AZ where nothing ever rusts. Around here rust repair is not so uncommon. As long as the problem areas are cut out and new metal welded in and sealed correctly, it will be just as good as original. Plus it will never be driven in the winter again.

Stig, I hear you! I've got close to 10 cars. Saabs, Volvos, Toyota/Lexus, a drift car, and my Chevy van. It's an hobby/obsession gone a little out of hand. Unfortunately that means that any large projects take a long time. I mean shoot, my 9000 has been down for 5 years for a clutch job and I'm too OCD to just fix it and drive it, instead the whole drivetrain is going to come out and be gone through. Might be done by my retirement lmao.

The van has got a build thread over on Vanning.com if you're interested.

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/666385/1

Here's a few pictures of you don't want to read through the whole thing.

Before the body work started:

Typical use:

Mock-up with the fiberglass flares/spoiler/visor:

Looks like it will finally be getting painted next week (fingers crossed). Then re-assembly. I have to put the van back together to even be able to access the Saab in the shop. There are parts and doors for the van everywhere lol.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Duuuude. That thing is rad.

Just skimmed most of your build thread. I have the weirdest soft spot for those older full size vans lol.

Digging the Cressida, too. :th_MySaab900Like:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
haha. Thank you. I have always kind of wanted an old 70's van, they are so much fun in a "blank canvas" kind of way. When I was in the market for a truck to pull the Cressida around, it was an obvious decision. It was cheaper than a truck, more secure than a truck, more interesting than a truck. etc..

I am kind of a closet hipster with ADHD when it comes to the cars (yet somehow not in any other area of life). I am only attracted to vehicles that are odd and different. Also likely why I refused to buy a 240 to drift with.. That combined with my mild OCD results in lots of neat projects that I'm too picky to actually finish on any sort of schedule.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you get a minute, check out Hot Rod Garage on Youtube. They put an LSX with EFI in an old van and it's pretty cool

Vans are seriously underrated utility vehicles. They are on the same chassis, with the same drive train as trucks but are much cheaper, and as you mention, much more secure. In the motorcycle racing community where I spend my time, they are extremely popular as theft is a big risk AND you have to have some vehicle that can get you to race tracks which are often hundreds of miles away AND you probably have to sleep in it over the weekend.

Awesome work you are doing, it's really fun to follow these projects!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
^ I've seen it! It's really straight forward to swap an LS into a van and refreshingly cheap (I'm used to working on Euros anymore). That's my plan when the 305 in mine inevitably dies.

Camping is definitely necessary at the track sometimes. I can't wait until I can start on the interior and quit sleeping on the floor.

Thanks for the compliments.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts