Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
abdukted has a stage 1 maptun on a 9-3 but due to a crappy winter season, there's no reason to spin tire in the snow, you can ask abdukted more about that.....

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
yep I have a 2002 9-3 with auto tranny, and I am running Maptun Stage 1.

it's pretty fast for an auto! :shock: :wink: :lol: 8)

what do you want to know?

I don;'t know if I would try my luck with tuning a c900, though, aren't those old trannies known to be pretty weak? Your best bet would be a level 10 tranny upgrade or a 9000 aero autobox if it fits, if you plan to tune yours much.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
On the C900 you can tune the Auto to about 225HP safeley from what I have heard. If you do the manual conversion from your auto you can get the Chillcast box from Sweeden and hold 400HP out of it. The other option is that you just buy 5 or 6 used transmissions and stock them on the shelf until you blow your auto up!! My C900 5speed is pulling 225HP or so right now with no issues so I think that you can hold the auto in the same level without too much worry about the power. The problem is not with the Hp tearing up the tranny it is the torque that you have to worry about with the old C900 trannies.

·
Registered
299 Posts
auto tranny tuning isnt that an oximoron :lol: 3 gear ratios yea :) fron what i hear they are even weaker than C900 5speeds. :shock: you should try it tho and when it blows swap in a 5speed

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
as far as tuning an auto being an "oxymoron" :roll: , well, different strokes for different folks.

but you obviously have never ridden in my car. :wink: :p :twisted:

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
why dont you ask Delorean about the 92 900t we saw in the junkyard with a blown up auto tranny... and i mean blown up, like the case cracked in half :shock: . so there are limits :lol: but i always thought it would be interesting to try it out, seems like if it werent for the fact that its a damn 3 speed the auto would have pretty decent gearing, but personally i like to have a top speed of more than like 120 :roll: . but yeah, to each his own, they both seem to break just as easily, so just slap a big ass tranny cooler on there and change the fluid and run it till she blows :twisted: . then just swap it over to a manual, i hear its pretty simple.

Paul

·
Registered
299 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
but you obviously have never ridden in my car. :wink: :p :twisted:
but u dont have a c900 so your tranny can take tuning. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I have a C900 5 speed running 3bar FRP, APC Mod, 3" Exhaust Cat back, Modified down pipe, Cone filter, turbo XS RFL BOV putting down around 225HP right now and my tranny is doing just fine. You can take a C900 up to around 250 or so without too much worry as long as you watch your launches. Talk to Alan Forsythe or Craigdeluxe in Scottland and they can attest to that type of power output without tranny issues. They say the stock tranny will handle 300HP max before it grenades on you.

I say tune whatever SAAB you own and just be prepared to pay what ever price you have to in order to keep the weak link replaced!!! If you dont want to pay the price then dont modify any car or you will have to pay the price. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
If you do the manual conversion from your auto you can get the Chillcast box from Sweeden and hold 400HP out of it.
\
Yeah - but who spends $2,000-$4,000 on a transmission for a car that's nearing 20 years old.... :roll: I don't care HOW good the transmissions are- the car isn't worth that sad to say. :roll:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Worth is all a matter of opinion. Try telling some C900 owners that their cars are not worth it and they will shoot you!!! :shock: :shock: I could be one of them!! If I had the money I would gladly buy the Chillcast box from Sweeden for my '86 C900. Then I would continue to modify it and woop all the new gen SAAB asses with it!! (Including my 9-3 SE HOT.....oh wait it already does that)

·
7,595 Posts
most people with C-900's these days have a rather hard time spending $4000 on a tranny for a $500 car :wink: I am one of them... If you want a trans that won't blow up, start with a 91 box and rebuild that with quality factory spec parts or better. it will take some power reliably with the limiting factor being how much power it takes to shatter the case itself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wonder if I could find a truckload of 91+ gearboxes might be cheaper than stronger boxes---VRMMM VROOOOOOOOMMMMM BANG damn,next!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You could always do what the guys in the UK do and buy 5 or 6 SAAB's and break them down and scrap the shells and shelve the parts. They are really lucky over there that they can get strong running and driving SAAB's there for like $300 bucks that only have cosmetic rust problems. They break them down shelf there parts and scrap the exteriors. I know that out here on the west coast I find 1 or 2 C900's in the scrap yards every few months. And when I do find one it is usually an S model so there are no good useable turbo bits on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts