Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone,

I am new to the web site. so HI.

Anyways, I had a 1998 Saab 93 SE with tronic 5 engine, and now I have 2004 Saab 95 with tronic 7 engine, really both engines are the same, main difference tronic 7 has a black coil and tronic 5 has a red coil, but for the most part engines are the same, both 2.0 turbo. now here is my problem:

I live in Jordan and it can get very hot here, summer normally is in the 35 c range. and when ever i go on a long trip anything over 60km distance, the terrain in this country is really odd, where elevation changes alot really fast by 200-1000m. for some reason my car would overheat with out really heating the water.

so far it happened in both cars. newer cars have aluminum engines, so they heat faster and cool faster. but my 95 has the older engine, where the engine is mostly iron i guess rather than aluminum , just the head is aluminum.

Last time i was driving my 95 when it happened, my temp was normal, and then the car just turned off. so i left the car for 10 minutes and started it again. and the car started and i kept driving, but by the time i got to where i was going, the engine, was almost gone, the metal it self had overheated, ruined the head, and crank.

any thoughts? I had the same problem happened on the 93, and last week we had a very hot week it was around 41-43c all week, and i saw over 10 saabs with the same problem when i went to get an oil change.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Better OIL. 15-50synthetic or 20-50 std. GIve it more time to warmup from cold (or cool in this case) starts.

Upgrade the intercooler.

Radiator is not the issue.

Might get away with running a cooler thermostat on the T5 car. Not advised for the T7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fans are working fine, the issue is not really the water temp going on, but it seems like when you put the car under some stress, the metal of the engine will heat up faster than the water. and Saab has a safety thing when that happens where it will shut the car off, but it always shuts the car off 5 minutes too late :( I already changed the thermostat and coolant and everything else that goes with that. but like i said any long trip with some hills in it, car goes nuts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maybe its not related so much to the terrian...Saab's are well equipt to deal with extreme conditions...I wonder if it is the Crank Position Sensor and the car is dying when it gets warmed up...also check the DI cassette...if the engine temp is fine then no extra stress should be put on the engine...I would make sure to change the oil and air filter (sandy terrian) often every 3K with Mobile 1 Synthetic and probably go with a heavy oil if it never get too cold (I know in New England most of us use 0-40-0-30 for cold starts). You might also want to try Redline Water Wetter as well...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
So the guage is, or isn't reading hot? Are you boiling any coolant out?

It could be as simple as the coolant reservoir cap isn't holding pressure, that will let the coolant boil out without registering high on the temp guage.

This is exactly what happened with a 9-5 I just bought this weekend, from the neighboring state of Arizona, out in the middle of the desert here in the U.S. - it was ~118f/47c yesterday at noon, and I drove it 6 hrs back to Los Angeles with the A/C on, and all was well.

I grew up in the desert in South West U.S. where temps in the summer are usually 44-48c for a good month of the summer, and we never had very serious issues.

Make sure fans are running, no weeping joints at the hoses, cooling system holds pressure, and radiator isn't obstructed or blocked up inside and you should be ok.

As an extreme measure for the summer months you could try installing an 82c thermostat, or even cutting out the thermostat flap valve completely to open the cooling system up, that may help keep it from overheating if there is another underlying issue causing you problems for the hot weather. We have to do this at our shop as a budget option for cars with failing head gaskets or sub-par radiators for the summer.

Best,
Drew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts