Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let me preface this with I was expecting a whole lot from this movie. Going in knowing Disney spent almost 200 million on this reboot, it had to be somewhat good at least from a technological/graphical standpoint. So here goes.

To start of you have to talk about the story, and how it isn't very deep. But that isn't what this movie or it's original [1982] was about. I hate to say but this isn't a movie you go to see for a deep/thought-invoking story. That being said, it still has a story that keeps it all together and makes sense by telling you what's happened since the first, with flashbacks. But just because the story is not award-winning doesn't mean you can throw the whole thing out.

The 3D/CGI/Special Effects/Sound Design were amazing. Saw this film in IMAX 3D, so it was the definition of 3D. There were scenes in this film that were only intended to be seen in 2D, and they kept them that way as well as told you at the beginning of the film that these scenes were kept 2D for a reason. Those scenes aside, everything was shot in 3D so it is truly 3D and that is awesome. After the first 10 minutes or so, it feels natural. It never really feels forced, and it isn't sickening the entire time. And with the CGI, Jeff Bridges' CLU, who is 20 years younger, since he is a program and has not aged, gives me a weird feeling. He looks so real sometimes, too real almost. But that weirdness aside, the CGI is brilliant, the lights as well as the world is spectacular - while not taking away from the original, just adding to it. And the sound was brilliant. Sound design felt good, as well as I personally enjoyed the cameo by Daft Punk. Since they pretty much did the whole soundtrack for the movie. It's no Daft Punk album, its a movie soundtrack, but still its good nonetheless.

Tron: Legacy is odd to me. It wasn't perfect in terms of story, it was kind of long at almost 2 hours, for a Disney flick that is PG. That aside it truly was a good movie to me. But that's also how I felt about Avatar. Avatar didn't have an amazing story in my opinion, but where the story lacked the CGI and everything else made up. And Tron: Legacy was also respectful of its original which is rare for reboots. If you enjoyed the original, or enjoy light-shows, Tron: Legacy might be for you.

3.5/5

I know I didn't touch on everything, but I wanted to share my simple opinion of the film.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The OG was so fricken awesome, Legacy has to be absolutely incredible to even begin to hold a candle to the original.

TRON was just SO far ahead of its time in story, and special effects. A true classic.

thx for the review....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had recently watched this movie. It is a 3D high-tech adventure set in a digital world that's unlike anything ever captured on the big screen. The effects in the movie are simply amazing and the stunt work and action sequences in this Tron sequel are some of the best of the year.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I just saw this last night. I totally agree with the OP. I was expecting more, but it was still pretty good. The whole time I was watching it, I was thinking of this.....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just saw this last night. I totally agree with the OP. I was expecting more, but it was still pretty good. The whole time I was watching it, I was thinking of this.....

This car should have made it in the film!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I watched the original right befroe going to see this Opening night. $23 for my dad and me to see this and on opening night 10PM showing in 3D we were 2 of the 8 people in the theater!

Movie was OK - had good action scenes, but by no means enough of them. Too much down time and felt as if it dragged on a bit. Graphics were great and the film qulaity was exactly that - but the story line is what I think made it the above 3.5 out of 5. If you haven't seen it yet - wait for it to hit the $1 rentals IMHO.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I watched the original right befroe going to see this Opening night. $23 for my dad and me to see this and on opening night 10PM showing in 3D we were 2 of the 8 people in the theater!

Movie was OK - had good action scenes, but by no means enough of them. Too much down time and felt as if it dragged on a bit. Graphics were great and the film qulaity was exactly that - but the story line is what I think made it the above 3.5 out of 5. If you haven't seen it yet - wait for it to hit the $1 rentals IMHO.
Yea, it's stupid expensive for 3D/IMAX movies. And I don't know where you were but it was packed at the IMAX theater opening night.

And I do agree - not enough action, but they were good.

Plus the fact is that I was expecting a lot out of the new movie, I was not let down, but I wasn't suprised by anything.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I think Bridges was reading from The Big Lebowski script sometimes instead of the Tron script.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts