Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this, and it did this. Like a noob, I have never used actual trim dye...I just used that mothers "back to black" crap that wears off in 3 days.

Before:

After:

I did the bumper trim as well.

Before:

After:

Pretty happy for 9 bucks.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Nice job! I used duplicolor flexible bumper and trim coating, I prefer it to forever black and products like that but you have to spray it on rather than use the applicator style.

Are you going to change your exhaust tip?

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm doing the rest of the car tommrrow. It already looks so much better.

Faded trim/tires/rubber always drives me nuts.

No, no plans to change the tip. It's the JT doublewall one, and I like it.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Yes, that stuff definately works wonders for tires. I might use it for the plastic side skirts since I dont want to remove them to spray.

The exhaust looks good, I first glanced at it and it looks like you backed up into something and shoved the tip onto the exhaust haha. No offense ;)

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The exhaust looks good, I first glanced at it and it looks like you backed up into something and shoved the tip onto the exhaust haha. No offense ;)
None taken. :)

You should have seen it when I got the car. Backing into something would have been an improvement. Shit was terrible.

Forever black really is full of win.

Looks great!
Hell yes it is. I hope it lasts for a while.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Holy shit.

That is awesome. It seems like that works better than kiwi leather dye, looking at the pics. I'll be buying some of the 'forever black' soon; back to black gets old, reapplying it every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I don't have a garage, so my car gets pretty beat up by the sun/rain(not to mention broken sprinklers all over the complex that spray my car almost daily).

It seems to last me about 2-3 months, depending. Should be good for plenty more than that if you take better care of your car than I do(which is almost a given).

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
You will get years out of forever black. I have to say that I am slightly dissappointed at the longevity of Duplicolor trim coating, I had to scrape it off on all the side moldings because it had flaked off in certain areas.
Just remember whatever you choose to lay it thin.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, I may try that trim paint on me SE skirts tomorrow. It think they have it at the parts store by my house.

I don't see actually painting those body color anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Just to clarify, the coating started to flake because I layed it down way too heavily on coats. I repainted them after scraping them off (a pain!) and put down 5-6 coats, lightly this time ;)

Forever Black is best on textured trim. On smooth trim it tends to streak.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forever Black is best on textured trim. On smooth trim it tends to streak.
This is true.

I put it on the strips at the bottom of the windows, and it's a bit streaky.

It looks great on everything with a texture though. Today I'm doing the rest of the trim, and some of the plastics as well (strips on side of windshield, plastic at base of windshield)

I also scored a can of trim paint, so I'm going to do the SE skirts in that. I hope the shine matches the rest of the trim.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that stuff works pretty well. Good improvement :)

You going to use it on that one painted piece of door trim?
Suck it, Trebek.

I have an unpainted one. It's in my basement. I had it in my %$&^#$ hand the other day, and I set it down somewhere.

I need to find it, and put it on. I spent 20 minutes looking for it today, and it made me irate that I could not find it.

Also, I did the SE skirts with the trim paint. It looks almost exactly the same shade as the stock trim.

I think I will do the SE lip black tomorrow as well, it looks a bit odd to have the lower rear bumper strip black, the side skirts black, and have a body color front lip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.