Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a guy selling a transmission from an 88 900 8v that was rebuilt 100k miles ago. He's asking 200 for it which i don't think is that bad of a deal but I'v never really looked for transmissions before. I did some searching and found that all c900 transmission bolt up to so i shouldn't have a compatibility problem but will the gearing etc be any different then my SPGs? Only reason why i'm even looking to buy a transmission is because the one on the SPG will probably need to be changed eventually hopefully not till after winter. 4th and 5th gear have developed a whine, I guess it's the pinion bearing whine? I checked the fluid and it was a little low so i topped it up. It's gotten a bit better but it's still there. Figured I'd buy a transmission now so whenever it does go i can have the other one ready.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I think the most important thing is getting one with a 7 in the 3rd digit of the code on top of the case, notating the primary type. We didn't get Type 8s here, so 7s will spin the slowest cruising at highway speed.

Example of a code would be GM45710.

From Saabnet:

GM=manual gearbox
first number=transmission version
second number=number of forward speeds
third number=primary drive ratio (see below)
remaining numbers=development variant

primary drive) number of teeth (in/out)-gear ratio
4. 31/30-0.97
5. 30/27-0.90
6. 31/26-0.84
7. 31/25-0.78
8. 33/24-0.72
Saabnet:
final gearing/overall gear ratio 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/reverse

GM45610 9.33-3.67/13.94/7.88/5.28/3.80/3.07/15.33
GM45710 9.33-3.67/12.99/7.34/4.93/3.54/2.86/14.28
GM55602 9.33-3.67/13.94/7.88/5.28/3.80/3.07/15.33
GM45712 9.35-3.89/13.84/8.05/5.27/3.81/3.04/15.22
GM55704 9.35-3.89/13.84/8.05/5.27/3.81/3.04/15.22
From GenuineSaab.com:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info! So by the looks of things the 88 tranny will have the type 6 primaries. For $200 i don't think i can go wrong if the tranny shifts well (waiting on the sellers response)

·
Registered
50 Posts
100k is the end of the road for most transmissions. The bearings just don't last much longer than that regardless of what kind of engine is powering them. I've taken apart a tranny from an 8valve N/A that had only 83K on the entire car and the pinion bearings were already starting to form pits on the rear bearing.

$200 is quite a bit for a transmission that is ready for a rebuild IMHO. The fact that it has been rebuilt once already would also have me concerned that the gears are worn to the point that they won't rebuild well again. Honestly, that's the kind of transmission I usually pay $50 for and hope to get one or two good gears out of to combine with gears from other transmissions on a rebuild. Sometimes I don't even get that much.

You could open the front side cover and feel the sleeve just behind 5th gear. If you can rotate that sleeve at all, then there is enough wear on the transmission that you can count on only getting a few thousand miles out of it before the pinion bearings start to whine. Also, open the rear side cover and look at the reverse gear and reverse idler gear. If they are pristine (no chips in either), then I'd say the transmission is worth maybe $100 just for those gears.

Putting a transmission with 100k on a rebuild in is a very short term solution, so if you don't plan to rebuild this transmission first, save your money for a rebuilt later. I've taken apart many, many transmissions and never once found one with 100k on it that I'd be comfortable installing once I took it apart. Every single one with that mileage on it has needed new bearings (at the minimum).

I'm working on a transmission rebuild DIY page over at Saabcentral and I'll probably post it over here as well once it's complete. Have a look if you think you may want to tackle a rebuild on your own.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Moreboost: To answer your tranny rebuild cost question from another thread, I think I spent like $400 in parts for my rebuild. Pricing it out before I got a look at the internals though, someone could easily spend $800-$1000 alone in parts, depending on if gears, synchros, couplers, etc are worn. For your SPG, I'd say to find a known, good unit and go that route.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Keep in mind that '88s still had the smaller rear pinion bearing. It may end up like this.

Or you may get lucky and it will run for another 100k. The other 2 c900's in my family with small pinion bearings have gone 194k and 230k respectively. YMMV.

I spent $800 3 years ago on parts for my rebuild. I replaced everything wearable part including all sycnros.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i really appreciate it. Truthfully i have tossed the idea of rebuilding the tranny myself but we all know what happened the last time i tried to rebuild something :cry: Also I'v looked into the steps to remove the transmission and i think i might just have someone do it for me. I can only imagine how much resistance i'll face when trying to unbolt everything.

I will probably stick to what andrew said and just find a decent tranny and have it swapped in when time comes. Hopefully i'll be able to find something with slightly less mileage. When the current transmission comes out and if i have some extra cash i might attempt to rebuild it, worse comes to worse I'll just learn about the inner workings for a c900 transmission and then scrap it.

Plus i hate to say this but i would much rather spend the money and have the BMWs transmission rebuilt first before the spgs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts