Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just added a 1999 9-5 Wagon 2.3T Auto to my growing Saab collection for very cheap. Only 100K miles and in really nice shape. I've been searching online all day and can't find anyone with the same problem as me so I thought I would post here! The gearbox light and CEL came on last week at the same time and the car is acting wierd upon decelleration (particullarly down shifting at slow speeds) it develops and good shake or shimmy right before it comes to a stop and idles down almost to a stall. Its definately coming from the engine or auto gearbox. I'm leaning towards gearbox as the engine sounds good and makes good power once it gets moving above 20kph. Anybody experience anything similar to this? Thanks!

UPDATE******
Just had it scanned and it thru a P0741, Torque Converter Solenoid. Could that mean just a solenoid or the converter itself?

UPDATE AGAIN****
I had the tranny fluid flushed today (nasty burnt fluid) and the problem is getting worse, feels like the converter is locked up. it chugs and doesn't want to sit still in drive, it surges, shutters and stalls wanting to go forward. Once I manage to get it going it is good. Excellent shifts ect. Once I slow it again it starts acting up.

I'm probably going to pull the tranny, is there anything else this could possibly be? Electrical ect? Tranny makes some noise so I'm assuming its internal. Any feedback would be greatly apriciated!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
These transmission are very well built, unlike the ZF Germans transmission...Im wondering if it is the torque converter seal...all transmission need pressure control to work properly and if fluids are getting where they do not belong or when they do not belong there, the transmission will act up...changing the fluid will clean the transmission and further irritate the damaged seals...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well - at the dealership, when there was a torque converter code such as yours - we replaced the trans.... now, we didn't rebuild in shop because of a lack of space and tools and the guys I worked with were too lazy IMHO - but from my experiance, you need a trans. I would look for a low cost, low mileage used unit as they do fail - but not as often as the older automatics in 9000's and ng900's and c900's..... but they do fail.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If he is going to replace it...should he go with the 5 speed version ?
This would not be a direct upgrade... there would be wiring and such involved.... better off putting in what came out imho.

I found some with 50K miles on them for 325 dollars...talk about overstock !
for either a 4 speed or a 5 speed that's a GOOD price!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I have found one used, shipped to my door for $450, so I may just go that route. I will probably tackle it myself. Never swapped a auto tranny but I have did some clutches and do a lot of motorcycle engine tear downs and swaps ect. Do you guys think this would be over my head? Whos done one and how difficult was it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You will have no problem at all...there is tons of room to work and all you have to do is support the engine :D...I did a MT with a LSD on a Porsche and thought I was going to shoot myself...just grab a Haynes Manual and you are all set !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts