Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the best way to get my SiS from Austin to Dallas next week. As much as I want to drive it back, taking the bus, train or flying down the cost/time just doesn't seem to be working out.

I looks like I will have to tow if with my wife's Volvo XC90 V8 (it's the only thing that has a hitch in the house).

Any problems pulling an empty tow dolly on the highway? It costs $45 if I pick it up here and return it to the same location, while it is $86 to pick it up in Austin and returning it here.

Also, reading the archives, I read one post saying that 900's don't like tow dollys and need to be extra strapped down. What's that about? Any concern?

I have only used a tow dolly once, 20 years ago, so I don't really know what I am doing. Good tips or tricks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I towed an empty dolly with my OG9-3 a few months ago. All I'd do differently is let some air out of the tires so it doesn't bounce as much. That wasn't disturbing to me as much as to other drivers.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Towing an empty dolly is unnerving, but not dangerous or anything. It just makes a bunch of damn noise and bounces around a bit.

I recently towed my '90 900S to northeastern OH for a track day. It was about 7 hours each way, and the car was just fine. I'm not sure what this additional strap on nonsense is about.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Empty dolly air pressure should be anywhere from 0PSI to 10PSI Never drive with more (as we have learned it will bounce like a damn basket ball all over the place!)

Once it is loaded or right before you load it up fill the tires to the reccomended pressure on the dolly (not the tires).

Towing an empty dolly means being cautious of what's near your and when you make your turns. You just have to be MUCH more mindful when driving and you should not drive like an ass - but in turn, that dolly sure does scare the shit out of someone being a dick ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts