Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guise, I just ordered a double din touch screen from the local car audio place. its either going in my NG or in my Celica (baller!)

If I stick it in the Saab, anything special I need to do? Or can I just get the GS wiring kit and wire it up.

Any trim panels to surround the unit? I know they make the single din package, but a DD would be nice.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Tough to answer without knowing what you've purchased. In any case, Crutchfield often has adapter cables to help install and avoid cutting/splicing into the stock harness.

·
Registered
358 Posts
900s did not have the strip, they had a taller SID.
That's right, but if you cut out the shelf below the SID in a 900, a double-DIN radio will just barely squeeze in there. The strip between the SID and radio openings on the dashboard fascia is still enough to keep the SID in there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got an Alpine D106R in my 900 :) Single din with flip out touch screen!

Let us know how you get on with the double din and what mods you had to do to get it to fit. I wouldn't mind replacing my Alpine with a custom double din touchscreen pc :)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I just got an Alpine D106R in my 900 :) Single din with flip out touch screen!

Let us know how you get on with the double din and what mods you had to do to get it to fit. I wouldn't mind replacing my Alpine with a custom double din touchscreen pc :)
The flipout units hit the stalk on the steering column correct?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The flipout units hit the stalk on the steering column correct?
Oh yeah. It's a constant source of entertainment for my GF who shouts "FAIL!!" points at me and laughs :confused:

It does only foul ever so slightly and to me, it's worth the mocking.

·
Registered
315 Posts
For mine i didnt use a trim kit at all but i did have to cut the tabs that hold the sid in place, but the screen does take up alot of room so you dont really have alot of space left over

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
That looks really good. I quite like that look.

turbo900se, any more shots from slightly further back to see how it sits with the rest of the dash?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I heard theres a mod to shorten the wiper stalk to accomodate a single din flip-out unit. Ive been searching and searching and i cannot find any write up or discussion on this. Can anyone help me with this???

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I heard theres a mod to shorten the wiper stalk to accomodate a single din flip-out unit. Ive been searching and searching and i cannot find any write up or discussion on this. Can anyone help me with this???
bump

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did it in my 9-3, I had to cut out the plastic part holding the SID since the radio is high enough to hold it.

You'll need an harness in order to convert the Saab harness to regular wires. Other than that read well the documentation on the harness to know what to weld to what wire ;)

Make a search on thread I made, I post something about it sorry im on my phone and it sucks to browse in mobile :p

Found it => http://www.saablink.net/forum/car-entertainment-ice/54850.htm

Read this. http://saabworld.net/f29/double-din-audio-head-unit-install-pioneer-avic-f700bt-84/

edit: OH YEAH You'll need the antenna converer to plug in the antenna hmm otherwise you're good lol

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
So, i just installed a double din touchscreen in my 9-3, it ended up being the biggest pain in the ass of my life, unless i was doing it all wrong. I had to hack the inner lower and upper lip, still didnt go in, so i hacked the black plastics inside (while i cried) and after basically gutting the entire area for the stereo i got the thing in, now it doesnt sit perfect mainly cause i gutted all the black plastic inside, im pissed at myself a little bit but no matter what i did the fucking thing would go in! (yes its a normal double din size touchscreen). But anyways, its in, no trim kit, im at level "fuck it" on that situation. hoping if i ever take it out to replace it with either a single din again or stock, that i can throw the original metal cage back in and that will create support due to the absent plastics that unless i replace the entire dash, ill never be able to fix.:banghead: And ill have to salvage a new dash panel.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
So, i just installed a double din touchscreen in my 9-3, it ended up being the biggest pain in the ass of my life, unless i was doing it all wrong. I had to hack the inner lower and upper lip, still didnt go in, so i hacked the black plastics inside (while i cried) and after basically gutting the entire area for the stereo i got the thing in, now it doesnt sit perfect mainly cause i gutted all the black plastic inside, im pissed at myself a little bit but no matter what i did the fucking thing would go in! (yes its a normal double din size touchscreen). But anyways, its in, no trim kit, im at level "fuck it" on that situation. hoping if i ever take it out to replace it with either a single din again or stock, that i can throw the original metal cage back in and that will create support due to the absent plastics that unless i replace the entire dash, ill never be able to fix.:banghead: And ill have to salvage a new dash panel.....
that sounds like a huge pain in the ass, I hate dealing with electronics, I installed my system myself and ill never do it again, next time ill just take the easy way out and pay someone I trust to do it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
that sounds like a huge pain in the ass, I hate dealing with electronics, I installed my system myself and ill never do it again, next time ill just take the easy way out and pay someone I trust to do it.
If it was a single din, it would of taken me bout 20 min tops. Ive installed 9586759478 car stereos for myself and others. But this was the first touchscreen/double din ive ever installed.

I knew i had to make some trim mods, but i thought it would just be the opening, then when i realized the radio STILL wouldnt go in, i started gutting the inside plastics little by little trying to shove it in, but it came down to me hacking everything inside to get it in. It really pissed me off, considering nobody has a write-up on installing a ddin in a 9-3, so i didnt know what to expect and didnt know if i was fucking everything up. I just took a chance.

So whatever, its in, it works, i like it, it impresses, fuck it.

Ill post pics soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have been considering making a write up about installing a DD in a 9-3 i installed 2. a pioneer avic 3200 in my moms 9-3 and a sony xav- 62bt in my viggen.

it was fairly simple. if i am feeling it, maybe i will take a few pictures and write a thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts