Saab Link Forums banner

Topher is building a rallyx car...with help.

13K views 215 replies 31 participants last post by  Topher 
#1 ·

It's with Stillwater Towing. They bought it from the police. Apparently it was impounded because the driver just left it on a public street, undrivable.

They are pretty sure it is the clutch. You can start the car in gear but pushing in the clutch does nothing.

Could it be as simple as a clutch?

This would be a perfect car for ice racing or rallyx.

If any of you would be interested it is certainly something we could entertain.

They are looking for $799, they give you all the paperwork and you go to the DMV and they will give you a transfered title (because this was not wrecked, etc). Apparently, the place will also tow it if you don't live far (Minneapolis and Stillwater don't seem far to me).

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Tempting, considering I'd be about 100% sure its the clutch cable

I don't know what you want for a buy-in...

but, I bet we could make that car do decent things in rally-x. Would you leave it stock, or so up a class or two? There aren't too many M2 or P2 cars it seems...

#12 ·
Case in point how Topher and my sub 200hp cars beat (likely) beat several more powerful cars in rallycross this weekend.

But I suppose the above comment came from a guy who wanted a 400fwhp car for rally driving :lol:

edit: "above comment" as in above Palmer's, Jameson's, and my previous comment.

#16 ·
HAHAHAH.

Wow, everyone is interested.

Honestly, I could care less if it were N/A or Turbo. After this weekends event, it's easy to tell that power is not what wins races.

I would much rather spend the difference between an n/a and a turbo on suspension, tires, mudflaps.

If I found a turbo in decent shape, I wouldn't be opposed to it. But as I have said before, and others have echo'ed, the turbo just runs me into more potential to break territory.

And I am not set one way or the other on what year range I am looking for. After riding in Jessops SPG, I think a C900 would be VERY capable also.

The reason I would like to co-own one, is so that I could share a car with another driver. Co-driving is great because you can learn from each other's runs/lines/etc.

#20 ·
For auto crossing I would bet the 2.3 would almost be better. The low end torque would be there for the short straight runs between the many corners. In the picture it looks as though it has good winter rubber on it too, one less thing to have to purchase for your fun.

#27 ·
I'm kind of torn by this. I'd love to kick in (before I read this, I was independently thinking that a ng900 might be a better rally car in some ways than a c900 -- just from a transmission abuse/survival standpoint).

But I've got this 9-5 Aero with a limited slip diff, that seems to kick ass even with total noobie drivers . . .

Or I've already got my own c900 SPG to rally with . . .

So try as I might, I cannot justify adding a *third* car that I could possibly rally with to my fleet, even if I only owned half and it lived with the other owner.

#41 ·
I'm kind of torn by this. I'd love to kick in (before I read this, I was independently thinking that a ng900 might be a better rally car in some ways than a c900 -- just from a transmission abuse/survival standpoint).
youll think that, and itll probably be true, until one day you hit a rock with the car and the wheel falls off.

Paul

#36 ·
That seems like a fair price for that car. Hell the remaining parts alone are worth that almost. Also it would be great to evolve into stage rally since it would be a production class car. So no problems getting started there. Rally America doesn't allow first timers to stage rally in a turbocharged vehicle anyhow, unless you fill out a special conditions form and show that you have the proper qualifications.

#37 ·
Rally America doesn't allow first timers to stage rally in a turbocharged vehicle anyhow, unless you fill out a special conditions form and show that you have the proper qualifications.
I had heard that. I don't know if I would have proper qualifications or not. Couple track days, eight years of autox experience, various other non-competitive motorsports events. I highly doubt they would just sign the waiver on that, unless I had attended a Rally School or something.

#43 · (Edited)
If the car runs well, minus the clutch issue, and the body is solid...that's a steal.

I paid $800 for my AWD Legacy that had 190K, a slightly crusty body (all fixed now! I love MIG welders), and I had to buy 4 snows.

I'm all for beaters.

Low-power, easy to drive, cheap cars are totally the way to get into rallycross/stage rally. The NG is perfect for the 2WD stock class....easily competitive.

Yeah you guys had fun with your DD's on the course the other day, but do you really want to subject your cars to that every month?

I know my answer would be no....it sucks when you break something on Saturday and need to spend 12 hours fixing it on Sunday so you can get to work on Monday (only to find out you need a part @ 6 PM on Sunday, and nothing is open). No Thanks.

I'd totally go in with this if I wasn't eleventy billion miles away. Just what I'd need, to bring my car tally up to 5.5!!!

#46 ·
Topher, When you guys are done with it mabey I'll pick it up from you to make into the new rasin racer. This summer I picked up the identical car with front end rearanged by a deer for $500. I was going to use it for next years racer but Mike decided to bust another transmission in his convert. We had a used front end off a car in the yard the same color. In a Sat. afternoon we had him a running and driving car. It turned out to be a quite good car in fact. Mike is really liking the gas mileage he gets with it compaired to his convert. So, in short I lost my next seasons racer.

#47 ·
Dang! My gf was considering buying it for me as a bday/Christmas gift. But she just called me and said, "I called about that damn car you were lusting after, apparently, some guy is coming to buy it for $750 this morning. But if it doesn't work out maybe I will go check it out over lunch."

#50 ·
Probability of this happening:

slim : f'ing none

Oh well I am sure their will be others. Maybe I will call Marty up and tell him to keep his eye out and give him a price range, but I don't want to bother with that when he is trying to rebuild the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.