Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's with Stillwater Towing. They bought it from the police. Apparently it was impounded because the driver just left it on a public street, undrivable.

They are pretty sure it is the clutch. You can start the car in gear but pushing in the clutch does nothing.

Could it be as simple as a clutch?

This would be a perfect car for ice racing or rallyx.

If any of you would be interested it is certainly something we could entertain.

They are looking for $799, they give you all the paperwork and you go to the DMV and they will give you a transfered title (because this was not wrecked, etc). Apparently, the place will also tow it if you don't live far (Minneapolis and Stillwater don't seem far to me).

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Tempting, considering I'd be about 100% sure its the clutch cable

I don't know what you want for a buy-in...

but, I bet we could make that car do decent things in rally-x. Would you leave it stock, or so up a class or two? There aren't too many M2 or P2 cars it seems...

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it an NA or a turbo?

800$ for an NA that needs a clutch is a little steep ;)
it's a 2.3

And really? The site says it's a 97 but the guy on the phone said 95.

I have seen most 900's that are 94-94 with 140kmiles going for 2,000-2500. And this one appears to be in better shape cosmetically.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
I know exactly where that car is.

I grew up in stillwater.

Anyway, that's a great deal for that car. I wish I had 400, I would split it with you.

That's a 100% awesome price.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
It looks like an ultra-rare Scarab Green 1995 900S

edit: and why is it not worth it? I don't see any ng900 Turbos going for that price...

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
An NA is perfect for a beater/rally car. Less stuff to break, less power (in some cases that's good...ask a 2 stroke driver), and a few easy ponies out of exhaust work.

Looks like a win/win to me.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Case in point how Topher and my sub 200hp cars beat (likely) beat several more powerful cars in rallycross this weekend.

But I suppose the above comment came from a guy who wanted a 400fwhp car for rally driving :lol:

edit: "above comment" as in above Palmer's, Jameson's, and my previous comment.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Yeah, its steep to the many cheap-asses who post on this forum, but because we're cheap doesn't mean that the car is worth less than that.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HAHAHAH.

Wow, everyone is interested.

Honestly, I could care less if it were N/A or Turbo. After this weekends event, it's easy to tell that power is not what wins races.

I would much rather spend the difference between an n/a and a turbo on suspension, tires, mudflaps.

If I found a turbo in decent shape, I wouldn't be opposed to it. But as I have said before, and others have echo'ed, the turbo just runs me into more potential to break territory.

And I am not set one way or the other on what year range I am looking for. After riding in Jessops SPG, I think a C900 would be VERY capable also.

The reason I would like to co-own one, is so that I could share a car with another driver. Co-driving is great because you can learn from each other's runs/lines/etc.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NA's are all fine and dandy.... But if it was a 2.0T I'd go in halfsies...

Then again, I'd also want to cage it and the whole works...
As would I, eventually. I think it would be VERY wise to do a FULL season of AutoX before I even attempt club/stage rally.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
The other good thing about the n/a which a lot of people aren't mentioning...durability. Mine isn't in as good of a shape as that one looks and I've put it through hell and back...still going strong.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
For auto crossing I would bet the 2.3 would almost be better. The low end torque would be there for the short straight runs between the many corners. In the picture it looks as though it has good winter rubber on it too, one less thing to have to purchase for your fun.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts