Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Royal Purple

Very good engine oil. Full synthetic and used by drag racers. They have excellent gear lubes and other additives. Found at Napa.

Redline

Top of the line engine oil. Full synthetic Made especially for turbocharged engines. Somewhat difficult to find, and somewhat expensive but excellent for your engine.

Also Redline's MTL (Manual Transmission Lube), is recognized and used by top dragsters and street rods because of the protection on gears and synchronizers. Ive heard numerous reports of this lube helping the problem of damaged syncros, and have helped reduce tranny noise. I plan to put it in my tranny this weekend. I'll let everyone know the results.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
eh, i've always used mobile one fully senthetic, no troubles yet, hell, my mom's car, mobile one, changed the oil 10,000 miles later, and it looked perfect

~justin

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am putting in the Red Line MTL manana. I, too will let you know how it works. I hope it does reduce some of the drivetrain noise though, but my biggest concern is protecting the tranny at 108k.

Oh yeah, also getting my 3" DP and 2.5" catback AeroTurbine exhaust installed. It is supposed to be one of the best sounding mufflers (more rumble).

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definately let me know how all that turns out. I was supposed to put in that Redline MTL this past weekend, but the weather turned bad. I'm at home now, so now I have to find a set of ramps :roll:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've added Redline to the tranny, and WOW!!!! There's a huge difference in tranny noise. Before I could hear a whine, while coasting in gear. Thats gone. Also I could hear a rattling noise sometimes when the car was on idle out of gear with the clutch out. Thats gone as well.

The shifting is smoother, and all the noises are gone. I'm quite impressed :!: 8)

I had Cottman Transmissions do the change, and on a test drive one mechanic called my car "Spicy". He loved the accelaration and the BOV noise. Surprisingly he said it corned well too. I guess he had alot of fun in my car, because as he was driving off, I him get the tires to spin in second. :lol: I was laughin my ass off.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
I had gone over the 60k check up by a ways like 1k miles so i needed an oil change i just got it done with shitty oil and im sorry i did it... my car SUCKED ASS when it had that crap in there... oil does make a difference, as i found out the hard way. Ive got mobile 1 in there now i think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Blaque_Out, I agree. the Redline MTL has not only reduced the drivetrain noise, shifting is a breeze. It also allows me to find 5th better with my short shifter from Saab Savior.

In addition, I put my new SS 3" DP and 2.5" catback with Aero Turbine muffler (also from Saab Savior). I know there is another thread on the AeroTurbine muffler claims. Here is my claim: Probably does not provide any noticeable increase in power of other HP mufflers, BUT the Sound is unbelievable! Sounds like something Marcus Gronholm should be driving in the WRC.... Anyways back to reality, the overall fit of the exhaust system could have been better (welds weren't that great either), but I really like it. Now, just waiting for my SQR Stage 3 off the Group Buy (yeah, I know another thread). Wish more people would step up to the plate on this one. It's tough to be patient when you know another 55 to 60 HP is just lurking around the corner!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was watching Horsepower TV on Spike TV, and they changed the oils from their Camero w/ Royal Purple.

They did the rear differential, tranny, engine and added a coolant additive. They used all Royal Purple oils and dynoed before and after.

Before: 302.4 HP

w/ Royal Purple Oils: 310.8 HP

8HP gain 8) This is proof that this stuff works. Also Redline is supposed to be a little better than Royal Purple.... ;)

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NAPA or CarQuest, or hell just go to their website and enter your zip code...they'll give you the address to their closest distributor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts