Saab Link Forums banner
341 - 360 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's one of the bep exhaust housings isn't it? I've been wanting to put that on my 9k but always wondered how much it actually dropped the spool and if it was still flowed enough up top

·
Super Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
It's actually not a BEP housing. The BEP housing is about a 7cm housing.
This one is about a 9cm housing.
I talked to a couple of turbo shops and they all told me the same. Our cars dont flow enough to max these turbos so that housing is plenty big to flow our range

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thats interesting i thought only bep made smaller housings for them. It'll be interesting to see what that does spool wise cause id like to get a smaller one for my 35 whenever. I also see that your running w/m fun stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great to see another up-pipe! Nice work.

When I was trying to figure out a material to use, I ended up using schedule 40 pipe to handle the weight based on some rough tensile strength (at 2000 deg F) and force calculation. I'm sure you've taken that into account but just a heads up to others that may be interested in going this route.

9cm is about a .48 A/R which is the size of the housing on the turbo I used. And that compressor housing looks about the same size. I was hitting full boost @ 3500-3900rpm with the 2.0 head (new owner is using a 2.3 head).

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's actually not a BEP housing. The BEP housing is about a 7cm housing.
This one is about a 9cm housing.
I talked to a couple of turbo shops and they all told me the same. Our cars dont flow enough to max these turbos so that housing is plenty big to flow our range
Be careful what turbo shops tell you, I have yet to find a turbo shop that recommends the right turbo for our engines. I bet they have never set up anything for a Saab. We max out the 12cm2 housings all the time. My buddy Steve maxed out the HX35 with 12cm2 housing. Vigge had trouble with his monster with 16cm2. It all depends on the power you want. We were all in by 3700rpm in third gear on 12cm2 and 2.3 motor at 6000 feet elevation.

That should spool fast, but having a .63ar will be limited up top in flow in my opinion. You need to measure back pressure and egts to know what is really going on and it all depends on the application.

We were told by our local turbo shop the GT 3071 WG would be a horrible fit for the Saab engine and that it would not flow well at all and only make power around 6k. We all know the GT3071wg is about the best all around street/strip big turbo you can get. All in by 3500rpm on a 2.3 motor and 400bhp no problem.

Here is dyno of Steve's Holset HX35 with 12cm2 housing at 6000 feet elevation.

John

Attachments

341 - 360 of 400 Posts