Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watching now on History Channel.

It's ok so far. Very scripted/staged, but still fun. Obviously very little in the chemistry department, so it's not even comparable to TG UK.

One fun fact, the celeb for S01E01 is Buzz Aldrin -- he owned a '70 Sonett! :)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Someone pointed out that if you watch the first one or two seasons of TG UK its pretty bad.

I don't have history channel. Maybe will watch later.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think it's trying to copy TG UK way too much. Even calling their secret driver the Stig.

The chemistry isn't really there, but as poison beef said, the first couple of seasons of TG UK weren't all that great. Let them get a couple of road trip challenges under their belts to bond.

I like Adam Ferrera and Tanner Faust. I only know Rutledge Wood from NASCAR stuff so the jury is still out on him.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's trying to copy TG UK way too much.
Maybe, but it's a formula that works. Perhaps even a perfect formula... Given the original has done so well, it'd be tough to justify re-inventing the wheel.

That said, most of the people watching USA already know the UK version very well, so it will almost certainly be lacking something to them, while coming off as a junior varsity version.

Not sure what direction I'd take if I were a producer. Take a huge risk and try some new stuff? Or go with what you know?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Remember junkyard wars? The UK version was great, the US copy sucked.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not sure what direction I'd take if I were a producer. Take a huge risk and try some new stuff? Or go with what you know?
I think it makes sense to go with the general formula, i.e. Star in a reasonably priced car, top gear test track lap times, epic challenges etc. I just hope they come up with some original ideas and dont copy everything to a t, for instance, in the preview it looked like they would be filling up some cheap cars with water and driving around the track. Although a top gear USA UK road trip could be funny.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As bad as the competition is in the US (other car shows), I don't see this as being really bad. Even if it will never be what the original Top Gear is, the bar in the USA is set so low for car shows that this stands a chance of being something definitely watchable. A Jalopnik reviewer who's watched all the first three episodes says that the chemistry between the cast gets better on the third one, let's hope this catches and that it is not a one season chump...

By the way, this is not a copy of Top Gear UK, but a licensed version of the program, made for the USA. That's why the format is similar and they even have their own Stig. This same format has already been used for Top Gear Australia and Top Gear Russia, we now get our own here.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I think the UK version is somewhat scripted as well, but thats not a negative comment! It is obvious to me though that there is a lot of PLANNED funny stuff on the UK version. Not all of it is spontaneous, and I'm OK with that.

Haven't seen the US version though, gonna have to see if they are on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
20 minutes into the show my wife tells me the other version is a lot better, these guys aren't funny she stated.

I think it's like most shows, the first few are slow & as time goes by they become more entertaining & the chemistry grows. I thought it was better even towards the end of the show... my wife was laughing a few times.

I think using stuff from the UK program is a good idea but like others stated they need new tasks which I am sure will come in time.

It should only get better.... there were times I thought the guys were pretty funny

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
FWIW overall I did enjoy it.... the sound of the lambo's & even the viper vs cobra was pretty cool :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I liked it as well and I'm willing to give the presenters time to get more comfortable.

I do think they do need to something to make the show their own. Maybe have a different pro racing driver every week in place of the fake Stig.

Speaking of the Stig; Anyone want to speculate on the Stigs identity?

I'm thinking Paul Tracy is a possibility. Him and Tanner have worked together recently.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I wasn't too impressed, but like others have said I'll give it some time to see if the chemistry between the hosts grows.

Copying the UK top gear (even though it is officially licensed) just makes it seem cheesy.

Hopefully they get into a good groove and the show will run a lot smoother and become more enjoyable.

·
10,303 Posts
It is worth watching, but it is not as good at the BBC version.

That being said, I'm hoping they are just working out the first season jitters, like mentioned above, take your fav show later in it's life, then look at the pilot and first few episodes. The actors are always really awkward.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Missed it damn.
I was veeeerrry pleased carolla didn't get the gig. Guys a dullard. The couple videos he's done on his cars are sleepworthy. Guys got no cred as a presenter. Even leno is much more entertaining with his car reviews.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I give it two more episodes before judgment. The first episode was okay, but I could have found better things to do with the hour I spent watching.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts